Astronaut James McDivitt, Apollo 9 Commander, dies at 93

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First loss from Apollo 9. Apollo 8 is now the only one left with all crew still alive.

Just did a quick roll call with Google. Here’s a list of the Apollo astronauts still living and their missions.

Walt Cunningham, 7
Frank Borman, 8
Jim Lovell, 8, 13
Bill Anders, 8
Dave Scott, 9, 15
Rusty Schweickart, 9
Tom Stafford, 10
Buzz Aldrin, 11
Fred Haise, 13
Ken Mattingly, 16
Charlie Duke, 16
Harrison Schmitt, 17

Apollo 9 CM was displayed at the former Michigan Space Center at Jackson Community College until the museum closed.
It's in San Diego now. I saw it there in 2017 right before we moved.

I was thinking about this again today and looking at my list above and realized only 5 Gemini astronauts remain: Stafford (6, 9), Borman (7), Lovell (7, 12), Scott (8), and Aldrin (12).

They can all be found in the Apollo list as well as the only astronaut who flew Gemini without flying Apollo was Gordon Cooper, who is gone along with the rest of the Mercury 7.

Updated version of the living astronauts list that includes their crew position, as well as accounting for everyone who ever flew in an Apollo spacecraft by including Skylab and ASTP.

Walt Cunningham, LMP 7
Frank Borman, CDR 8
Jim Lovell, CMP 8, CDR 13
Bill Anders, LMP 8
Dave Scott*, CMP 9, CDR 15
Rusty Schweickart, LMP 9
Tom Stafford, CDR 10, CDR ASTP
Buzz Aldrin*, LMP 11
Fred Haise, LMP 13
Ken Mattingly, CMP 16
Charlie Duke*, LMP 16
Harrison Schmitt*, LMP 17
Joseph Kerwin, Science Pilot, Skylab 2
Jack Lousma, Pilot, Skylab 3
Edward Gibson, Science Pilot, Skylab 4
Vance Brand, CMP ASTP

* - Walked on the moon

Couple of tidbits...
-Dave Scott is the only remaining mission commander who walked on the moon.
-Tom Stafford is the only astronaut who commanded an Apollo spacecraft twice.
-No Skylab commanders remain.
-Gemini 7, Gemini 12, and Apollo 8 are the only remaining missions from Mercury to Skylab with all crew members still alive. Jim Lovell was on all three of those missions.

Last edited:
Back