astron scrambler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskyhunter81

Reaction score
anyone know where i can get a clear payload tube for the astron scrambler pst-65r or a tube that is a bt-70 size

I just built the original and was looking for a replacement payload section that was not yellowed, no such luck..Semroc makes the nose and transition but not the payload. If you find one please let me know. Thanks David

I use Clear Polyethylene mailing tubes from McMaster-Carr or one of the packaging companies. They are not exact matches but several are close enough the some minor changes to the NC and transition shoulder allow them to work. unfortunately the closest one to BT-70 (2.217"OD - 2.18"ID) is 2.106" OD with a .028" wall making the ID 2.05"

Did you try Apogee Rocketry? The owner uses clear tubes for demonstrations and he would probably know where to get them or maybe sell you one.

Apogee has clear plastic tube to fit a BT-70.

Not cheap! The third item up from the bottom.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/body_tubes.asp

I got a sample tube from a company (Sorry but I don't remember where) but it was exactly 1.75" O.D. the correct size for the Scrambler.

I think just did a Google search (clear plastic tube) and asked for a couple of samples. They were happy to send them out.

anyone know where i can get a clear payload tube for the astron scrambler pst-65r or a tube that is a bt-70 size

We have what we (FlisKits) call our PST-65 clear payload tube (5" and 10" long). Frankly I have no idea how well it matches up to the Estes PST-65. It has an OD of 1.812" if that helps... I don't have the wall thickness off the top of my head.

Let me know.
jim

We have what we (FlisKits) call our PST-65 clear payload tube (5" and 10" long). Frankly I have no idea how well it matches up to the Estes PST-65. It has an OD of 1.812" if that helps... I don't have the wall thickness off the top of my head.

Let me know.
jim

The original Scrambler tube is 1.796" O.D. so that's darn close.

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/body_tubes.html

Last edited:
jim will you give me a quote...i cant find it in your website...any help is appreciated
thanks for everyones input if you have more suggestions let me know

jim will you give me a quote...i cant find it in your website...any help is appreciated
thanks for everyones input if you have more suggestions let me know

Check yer pm's :)

We don't have this tube on our site as the mating parts (cone and adapter) are so darned expensive. Heck, a payload section for a BT-60 tube would run about $17 because of the large chunks of balsa...

If folks think these items (basically, the tubes, and the payload sections from the PayLord and StarLoad) would be nice to see online, let us know and we will look into it.

jim

Yea matching up Clear Payload tubes to our standard Body tubes is a real headache.
As Charlaine Mentioned; even the extensive line offered by Visipak doesn't have a really immediately mating tube for BT-70, and we must order Case lots of 50 tubes:(
I've found we generally have to find/beg/borrow the closest clear packing tube and Adapt our transitions and NC's to fit.
My old Body tube size Charts give BT-70 dimensions as 2.175"ID, 2.217" OD with a wall thickness of .021"
Looks like the Closest thin walled tube Visipak or other packaging store tubes is gonna be 2.05" ID, 2.106" OD with .028" wall.
Some Shoulder sanding is gonna be involved to get a fit. and the NC & transition mating outer lip may need to be beveled or reshaped some.

I have found at least on BT-50,55 & 60 size models we can sand and bevel our way to an acceptable fit without compromising the "design". While I haven't done this with the 2.05" tubing I'm sure your Scrambler will comeout well if you go with it.

One of the reasons I purchase from McMaster or the UPS Store on these tubes is we can purchase a single 48" tube, rather then having to buy a full carton(Case) lot.
Hope this helps a little

Clear Payload Bodytube Storage-b-sm_08-27-06.jpg

Back