Astron Scout

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planet Andy

Reaction score
Hey...
So my Astron Falcon has yet to take a powered flight (real nervous about the fall winds) but it glides fine, meanwhile I made a Scout.The hand turned nose cone (dad's first) is blunter than the original. It passed pre flight swing tests and such but I was getting concerned about the whole gauze and white glue gobbage. Did a test flight...It ascended perfectly straight up with less than 1 rotation to about 200ft on 1/2A. I was surprised when the engine was spit out rather than being held by the hook. It took quite a bit of persuasion to get the engine in. I'll bend the hook a little more. Lawn darted down real fast and embeded itsself about 1/2 inch into ground. No damage at all cept for the charred fins. It ain't particularly pretty but it flew great! I'll add a couple more coats of ayleens, try to smooth the gauze and trim the loose ends before painting. It may seem like a small step for you seasoned rocketeers but it's a giant leap for a Newbie...When do I stop being a Newbie?

Andy

scout1.JPG

when someone asks a question and you think, "What a n00b!"
:D

i am building a Scout clone now.
i may try to clone the entire first catalog.
:D

I cloned a Scout from a Scout II a few years ago. If you want to avoid the fin charring, you can cut off a piece of spent engine casing to insert before the engine. Just be careful not to block the vent hole.
Drew tomko

I did a techniques and finishes demo using a Scout, ScoutII and ScoutIII models (yea original kits) some time ago, the trio has only flown once in all those years. It's kind of neat to be able to say OK this is the materials and adhesives used in the 60-70's, these in the 80's and those in the 90's. finished this way or that and show an example of the work.

Micro,

Thanks for the display on techniques through the decades...they all look great! looks like I've got a way to go to get that gauze smooth. Also I appreciate the significance of building the scout as I understand it was the first Estes model

Andy

Originally posted by Planet Andy
So my Astron Falcon has yet to take a powered flight (snip)
Andy, that’s a fine looking Scout. This one is on my list of models to build for the winter season.

I was getting concerned about the whole gauze and white glue gobbage. (snip)
I used gauze on another model. It looks ugly after first application, but it sands well. If you sand too deep, then slap on another layer of gauze and try again. The gauze and white glue is forgiving materials to work with.

Lawn darted down real fast and embeded itsself about 1/2 inch into ground. No damage at all cept for the charred fins. (snip)
I love this featherweight recovery. It looks like a death dive, but there is never any damage except for some dirt on the nose cone.

I made a 13mm mini paper tiger that utilized a tumble recovery with an extended motor retention hook. What a sight to see, it tumbled back and forth and fluttered down to the ground.

Have fun with your Scout!

Thanks Mike for the positives...

So the gauze and glue will sand out...thanks for that. On featherweight vs. tumble recovery... I really wasn't expecting the motor to eject and it looked really violent up there when it happenned I was expecting a body tube zip but such was not the case. I prefer to not chase the motors so we'll see how a hook adjustment works. Lawn darted like my quark but much easier to find. And as you said and I experienced...wipe your nosecone and good to go again! Good luck with yours. Micromeisters finishes are a standard to strive for. I'm thinking of painting it mostly red like Micro's earliest example. Can't even detect a gauze seam. Alrighty then.

Andy

On featherweight vs. tumble recovery... I really wasn't expecting the motor to eject and it looked really violent up there when it happenned (snip)
Same thing happened with me. I had a few unexpected featherweight recoveries until I got the motor retainer clip adjusted properly.

You can put a small bend in the wire at the end of the body tube. The wire will angle inward where the motor will easily be caught upon ejection. Once, I used a small paper clip as a motor retainer clip. Maybe I bent it too far inward. The darn thing burned up in the motor exhaust plume during powered flight. No more clip at end of wire, only a short straight wire remained!

Also, a funny flight with the 13mm mini paper tiger: straight up during powered flight, arching over to apogee, then at ejection charge, boom. The motor flew out one end, and the (tiny) rocket sailed horizontally upwind about 100 yards. Never saw it again in the tall hay field. R.I.P. :(

You could try making the vent hole bigger or a second hole on the other side of the tube.

I believe that when Fliskits first came out with their Tumbleweed, the builder made the vent hole.

The people who had problems with the engine ejecting usually made the hole too small.

That's why the Tumbleweed comes with the hole pre-punched now.

Jim Flis will correct me if I have mis-stated anything. :p

Originally posted by BobH48
You could try making the vent hole bigger or a second hole on the other side of the tube.

There already is a hole on the other side, maybe enlarge the existing ones or add two more to keep things symmetrical though that could compromise structural integrity.

Andy

Here's my singed clone next to a Sprite clone that I still haven't painted.
Drew

Originally posted by dtomko
Here's my singed clone next to a Sprite clone that I still haven't painted.
Drew

nice drew...looks like mine! well a bit smoother...

doh! just realized four holes won't work unless #4 works around the hook. At the very least I'll check the bend on the hook and maybe try enlarging the existing holes thanks BobH.

Andy

Back