astron ranger clone... c.g. question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoprobav

Reaction score
I am currently building an Astron Ranger clone. I plan on using 3 C6-5 engines for the flights. I am not going to do the payload section as the original. Just a straight tube 1 piece.
Does anybody have any suggestions on stability? C.G. point?
Nose weight?
Thanks for you help...

You don't need any weight or anything.

If I was building a Ranger clone, I'd omit the payload bay too.

If you want to clone cheaply, just buy a Big Bertha kit and replace the stock engine mount with a 3 x 24mm cluster. Paint in clone colors and have fun!

Sorry for a lack of more specific information other than the fact that the omission of the payload bay does not necessitate the addition of nose weight.

Originally posted by Fore Check
You don't need any weight or anything.

If I was building a Ranger clone, I'd omit the payload bay too.

If you want to clone cheaply, just buy a Big Bertha kit and replace the stock engine mount with a 3 x 24mm cluster. Paint in clone colors and have fun!

Sorry for a lack of more specific information other than the fact that the omission of the payload bay does not necessitate the addition of nose weight.

Oops: 3 x 18mm.

True, a Bertha would make for a fine start for cloning a Cobra. Just be aware the Cobra fins aren't the same, and the Bertha would probably come with pre-cut fins. A slab of balsa to replace that would be easy enough to come by.

If the result were close to the length of the Cobra, no balancing would be needed. If the Bertha close is shorter, better to double check. After all, the cluster mount will put more weight in the rear than the Bertha's single tube mount.

Dyna:
I think you confused yourself.. a Ranger isn't a Cobra. A "Ranger" is a three motor clustered Big Bertha. The Cobra is another 3 motor clustered model from the same era but a totally different design. You are correct about the fin pattern which is totally different from a Ranger (bertha cluster).

Shoprobav: Forecheck is correct, not additional nose weight is required by eliminating that payload section bulkhead. I've built and flown the Ranger both ways.
I do like having the payload section, to house the batteries and switch on my 4 Micro-Maxx clustered Nigth flight Led illuminated BT-20 downscaled Ranger:D

Back