Astron Nighthawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Well, I finally got started on my most ambitious bird to date: the Astron Nighthawk Boost Glider. So far so good - the glider is together and I'm sanding the airfoil into the wing. (Got the leading edge done, now on to the trailing edge.)

Has anyone built one of these? How do they fly, and does anyone have any tips for trimming this one beyond what is in the instructions?

Greg

i built mine so long ago I can barely remember it! *but*, it was a great flier and turned in outstanding glides. keep us posted, i haven't seen one of these in years!

jim

Originally posted by jflis
i built mine so long ago I can barely remember it! *but*, it was a great flier and turned in outstanding glides. keep us posted, i haven't seen one of these in years!

jim

Ditto...only mine was more like a lead sled. I think it had something to do with the three or four bottle of testors paint that I brushed on...
Maybe it's time to try another.

Please keep the progress of this one posted, there are probably a few (to say the least) of us out here that this brings back some memories!!

BEAUTIFUL flying......I really do need to do one of these myself...

Are you using the JIMZ Instructions?

Yes please keep us informed on how you do with bird.....The Nighthawk flies again!

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Ditto...only mine was more like a lead sled. I think it had something to do with the three or four bottle of testors paint that I brushed on...
Maybe it's time to try another.

Please keep the progress of this one posted, there are probably a few (to say the least) of us out here that this brings back some memories!!

Oh Lord, don't *paint* the bloody thing! :D

Gliders, for the most part, should be flown nekid. At most, hit it with some indelible marker or jap-tissue, but nothing more

Gliders, for the most part, should be flown nekid. At most, hit it with some indelible marker or jap-tissue, but nothing more

Sure, I know that now...where were you when i was 8 or 10?:D

I've found (actually justin suggested it) that if you use testors acrylic paint you can put it on so light that it is almost like using a wood stain. adds color so it's easier to find without adding weight. floresent orange works for me.

Originally posted by Adam Selene
I've found (actually justin suggested it) that if you use testors acrylic paint you can put it on so light that it is almost like using a wood stain. adds color so it's easier to find without adding weight. floresent orange works for me.

Are you airbrushing it on? I know it will fly better unpainted, but I'm being super-nostalgic - I want to paint it yellow with black trim like the original in the catalog! (One of my long term rocketry goals is to build all the rockets I had or wanted from the 1973 catalog - the list is up to 19 rockets so far!:D

Greg

Originally posted by gpoehlein
Are you airbrushing it on? I know it will fly better unpainted, but I'm being super-nostalgic - I want to paint it yellow with black trim like the original in the catalog! (One of my long term rocketry goals is to build all the rockets I had or wanted from the 1973 catalog - the list is up to 19 rockets so far!:D

Greg

i just get a brush wet with water then a small amount of paint and brush it in. maybe i wipe it off with a wet rag. it's been awhile. i'm building a couple of edmunds gliders right now, so i can tell you for sure in a day or two :)

i love your long term goal- that will be a cool colection.:cool:

Wow! I have an original one of those in my basement, all built and everything! It was my dad's and the only rocket found that used to be his.

Too cool!

NightHawk is no Exception...unless.. my 1st fleet nighthawk I just couldn't leave alone. I carved a hawks head&bill into the glider. Base painted the model Yellow intending to shades of brown feather the Wings after its first flight....But the darn thing Thermaled away:( soOOo sometimes ya can get away with Painting a glider;)

sorry this is the only pic I could find, if you look real hard you can just make out the Hawks bill, I couldn't afford much color film back then.

Back