Astrocam 2020 guts adaptable to historic camera rocket clones?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper Al

Reaction score
Hi all,
I like the 2020-21 Astrocam well enough. I'd like to try to adapt the camera module into reasonable clones (either gutted or scratch made) nosecones of Camroc, Cineroc and Astrocam 110 - some of which may not work well with the full camera case in its native configuration. Has anyone taken one apart? It may be helpful for these applications if the camera lens can be redirected, perhaps on a short wire, eliminating the need for mirror, etc. Thanks in advance!

Hi all,
I like the 2020-21 Astrocam well enough. I'd like to try to adapt the camera module into reasonable clones (either gutted or scratch made) nosecones of Camroc, Cineroc and Astrocam 110 - some of which may not work well with the full camera case in its native configuration. Has anyone taken one apart? It may be helpful for these applications if the camera lens can be redirected, perhaps on a short wire, eliminating the need for mirror, etc. Thanks in advance!

But the mirror preserves the spirit of the originals....

But the mirror preserves the spirit of the originals....
I don't mind cutting out the inside of an Astrocam 110 and using its mirror. For a Cineroc, though, I'm not inclined to do that and would plan to build from the Semroc module and balsa/card stock sled and shroud. So if I needed a decent quality tiny mirror for that I would have to source one. Maybe dental instrument and a Dremel.

Last edited:
Astrocam 110s were made in huge numbers (IIRC to the tune of 50K/year each year of the original release). They're reasonably available and not too expensive. I too have plans to gut one and build it for a digital camera.

Here's what I can suggest with the Cineroc... The new Olympus has the same OD as the Cineroc's camera body (BT-65). Both the clear payload section and the body tube are that size.. 3D printed nosecones and aft transitions have been designed and printed that fit it. Or, you can use original Cineroc parts. The Semroc Cineroc payload section is a tad oversized. eRockets/Semroc is now selling the BT-65 body tube in clear 10" lengths.

Sourcing mirrors? Cheap (real glass) disco mirror balls are a wonderful source of them. You have a variety of sizes and shapes to choose from, and making first surface mirror tutorials on Youtube are out there. The only problem I have at the moment is recreating the camera shroud (the part that houses the mirror), and the sled for holding the camera in place.

I think I've found a source for the camera that Estes is using. 5 cameras for $41 shipped. If not identical then maybe very close. I want a close match so it will sit in nosecone and sled. Other sources found by searching have typically been wholesale, not available, or $100 shipping from Hong Kong.

https://www.fhviwp.com/32gb-hidden-...hd-mini-video-recorder-camcorder-p-172305.htm

I have one of these and it is excellent quality. Does anybody know if this website is legit or ordered from them before? If I remember correctly, this camera weighs only 8 grams.

Ok... I'm now in touch with him... This is *SO* Cool!!! And *SO* Frustrating... His resin parts... Wait... I know how to make silicone molds... I know how to cast resin... (I can't, cause I can't find what I need here in China, but I know how to do it)... I got so fixed on 3D printing, I didn't think about the obvious... Mold from originals, and cast them.

1638993930997.png

I am a fan of these. Thanks for finding them. I just ordered five.
Please don't thank me just yet. I ordered too, but have not received any sort of confirmation. Would you be so kind as to report back your buying experience and when your order comes in? Thanks! I've found these cameras on a few different sites, but never one that is close to home or remotely familiar.

Please don't thank me just yet. I ordered too, but have not received any sort of confirmation. Would you be so kind as to report back your buying experience and when your order comes in? Thanks! I've found these cameras on a few different sites, but never one that is close to home or remotely familiar.
Free shipping to Hawaii so I'm cool with that!

I got a confirmation email. I suppose if I don’t get a follow up in 30 days, I’ll complain to PayPal.

I got a confirmation email. I suppose if I don’t get a follow up in 30 days, I’ll complain to PayPal.
Just curious, did you ever receive the cameras ? The link to the vendor appears to be inactive.

Thanks

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894 L2

Wow! aaaaaaand just like that, five minutes later - Paypal refunded the full amount!

View attachment 501448
Same here. It was worth a try. Subsequently, Estes offered the AC cam for $25 so bought four.

I wonder how this works. Was PayPal able to get the money back from the Chinese company or are they out of the funds that they refunded back to us?

I noticed the name changed. The seller name was Guangzhou Media and mine was Guangzhou Biochemical something.

Last edited:
Glad you gents received full refunds, darn frustrating dealing with scammers. Unfortunately us Canadians were unable to take advantage of Estes recent sale, so good on you!

I have one Astrocam rocket and 2 of the Universal cam kits that I got at last weeks sale too. But I was hoping to get a small fistful of cheap ones as I already have two in trees around the community. :)

Last edited:
Back