Astrobee-D Confusing Instructions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arsenal78

Reaction score
Working on an Aerotech Astrobee-D and I'm confused by the instructions. They say cut out two scale launch lugs and place on opposite sides of the rocket on the bottom between the fins and then it mentions a forward lug but gives no instruction on if it's another one of those or something else and if it's another one of the two it has you cut out, why not just say cut THREE out instead of TWO?

Later in the instructions it calls for this and this is what's throwing me off. It mentions gluing fasteners to the forward lug but has no mention of ever cutting a forward lug out. This is off the pages that came in the kit with the instructions.
1642019493388.png

Are you talking about the square plastic launch lugs that are used with a 1/4" rod to launch it or are you talking about the t-shaped lugs that are added for scale details?

Are you talking about the square plastic launch lugs that are used with a 1/4" rod to launch it or are you talking about the t-shaped lugs that are added for scale details?
I’ve cut out the T shaped lugs, however after doing that, the instructions also mention a forward lug that isn’t the square 1/4” ones.

Did you look at the instructions I linked? They seemed a little clearer on the lug placement for both types (pages 4 and 5).
Yes those are not the lugs I’m asking about. Did you look at the picture I posted? Look toward the bottom of it. It says to glue 5 fasteners to the forward lug but it is not a lug mentioned anywhere else.

What I'm saying is that the instructions I linked mention both types of lugs. Page 4 discusses the 1/4" launch lugs, and page 5 discusses the decorative ones.

On the true rocket, there were 3. 2 aft at 180 degrees to each other and 1 forward that was attached with a strap so that it fell away after it cleared the launch tower. It sounds like your question is about the scale one that is forward, right?

Attachments

• Astrobee-D Blueprint.pdf
    303.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The instruction in post #3 has dotted line arrows placing the forward scale lug on the aluminum band. I guess that is the only appearance of the part in that plan, oh well. The instructions in the file CalebJ posted in #2 says to center the piece over the gap in the aluminum band. So correct placement of the aluminum band appears to be the key to getting the forward scale lug located correctly.

1642024960240.png

Last edited:
How about a vintage Harry Stine drawing from Model Rocketry magazine, November 1970

View attachment 499482

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v03n02_11-70.pdf

Don't use any of Harry Stine's drawings for scale data.

Harry made a point of putting at least one incorrect measurement in his scale drawings so he would be able to trace back to someone who had 'illegally' copied or sold his plans.

The AeroTech Astrobee D scale drawing was made from actual engineering drawings from Aerojet.

Working on an Aerotech Astrobee-D and I'm confused by the instructions. They say cut out two scale launch lugs and place on opposite sides of the rocket on the bottom between the fins and then it mentions a forward lug but gives no instruction on if it's another one of those or something else and if it's another one of the two it has you cut out, why not just say cut THREE out instead of TWO?

You only need the third/forward scale launch lug if you are going to build the model in it's pre-launch condition.

See page six of the assemly instructions under 'Launch Configuration'.
I always built my Astrobee D models in 'Flight Configuration' so I didn't use the aluminum band, third scale launch guide and plastic fasteners.

(Writing the instructions for this kit were the most difficult for me of any of the AeroTech models).

Don't use any of Harry Stine's drawings for scale data.

Harry made a point of putting at least one incorrect measurement in his scale drawings so he would be able to trace back to someone who had 'illegally' copied or sold his plans.

The AeroTech Astrobee D scale drawing was made from actual engineering drawings from Aerojet.
Duly noted. I hope he and the publishers of Model Rocketry don’t mind the reference here. ;)
I guess the op’s point was about the level of detail for the forward scale launch lug in the instructions.

You only need the third/forward scale launch lug if you are going to build the model in it's pre-launch condition.

See page six of the assemly instructions under 'Launch Configuration'.
I always built my Astrobee D models in 'Flight Configuration' so I didn't use the aluminum band, third scale launch guide and plastic fasteners.

(Writing the instructions for this kit were the most difficult for me of any of the AeroTech models).
Thanks. Another question. Aerotech added rail guides into the kit along with lugs but between the launch shoes, fins, and antenna, is there any room for a rail to fit?

I did notice on a few pictures of the real one on the pad, I cannot see the antenna parts. I guess they were installed later before flight.

Thanks. Another question. Aerotech added rail guides into the kit along with lugs but between the launch shoes, fins, and antenna, is there any room for a rail to fit?

I left AeroTech before the rail guides were provided in the kits.

I suspect if you attach the rail guides in place of the launch lugs that would work.

Back