Astro-X Wasserfall

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
Has anyone built the Astro-X Wasserfall sold by Hobby Time? If so, any info you have as to quality of components, build, and flight would be appreciated.

The actual link for the page with the rocket is:

https://www.accountwizard.com/clien...0d90k090ASite1k01d701E&page=item&itemid=11926

It's kind of a strange website (logs you out if you haven't been there in the last 15 minutes) so if that link doesn't work, try the following.

The URL of the store which sells the rocket is:

https://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?Web=hobby-time&newsessionid=yes

Click on the "Rocketry" link, then the "Rocket Kits" link, then at the bottom of the page, click on the "Wasserfall" link.

Gus,

I haven't built this kit, but $27.50 seems a little steep. For that price you might be better served buying Pete Alway's In the Shadow of the V2 and scratch building one.

I built one that flew reasonably well--a little squirrely some times because my fins were not precisely lined up. If you've ever launched the Estes Sidewinder with the fins askew, you know what I mean.

I'd like to do another but this time I will design the rocket to break in half below the forward fin set so I can align the fins.

MetMan

I agree. $27.50 seems pretty pricey, especially considering how wasy the parts are to come by from BMS and Totally Tubular. I found an old Estes V-2 in a forgotten hobby shop a few years ago and had planned to use it to build a Wasserfall using the Scale Bash book, also by Pete Alway. In the end I decided on a Blossom V-2 instead. It seemed a little more stable. I still like the Wasserfall and one of these days I'll make the parts order from BMS for the nose and tail cone.

Thanks guys.

It does appear this would be cheaper to build with BMS parts. I was just curious because the Wasserfall is apparently the only rocket produced by the Astro-X company, and Hobby Time is the only place that sells the kit (hmmm...).

The only other company producing a Wasserfall kit is Das Model / Physicis of Flight, and the quality of their kits seems to be substandard per other posts on this forum.

I guess scratch-build is the way to go on this one.

Styme,

I forgot about their other kit (I had already found and read your review, very nice:) ).

Gus,

A scale Wasserfall would be easy...if ya had the plans!!

I do!

Peter Alway's book "Scale Bash" has a parts list and fin and wing patterns for a BT-50 size, BT-60 size and a BT-80 size model.

The scan is too big to post but email me and I'll send you a copy that way.

Anybody else that wants one can email me to:

[email protected]

sandman

Sandman,

Thanks for your incredibly generous offer.

It made me realize what a slacker I've been, so I just ordered my own copy of Peter Alway's book, as well as a few others I've been wanting, from NARTS.

Thanks again,

Gus

Since we're talking about Wasserfall conversions, has anyone got a BT80 Wasserfall Rocksim file? I'm thinking of doing a Silver Comet conversion with a 24mm motor mount but i'm afraid that after I add nose weight, I'll wish I'd done a 29 mm.

MetMan

Acording to Peter Alway's "Scale Bash" a BT-80 version of the Wasserfall's CG should be 11.5" from the tip of the nose.

Hope that helps.

sandman

Thanks, sandman, I've got scalebash too--what a great piece of work!

Reason I wanted a rocksim file was to get a weight estimate on the finished bird. My BT-60 Wasserfall weighed in at over 6 oz. I suppose I could scale that up and guess that the finished BT-80 version would be about 12 then, right? Not bad on a D12 but not overly impressive....

I'll try my hand at a Waserfall rocksim file and post it...

MetMan

OK,

I decided not to spend the $27.50 on the kit. Instead I spent $94.05 on books to help me save money on the kit. :confused:

I remember taking a logic class in college, but I've lost the textbook. Hey, maybe I'll get one of those too! :kill:

Worked this out yesterday. The BT-80 Wasserfall sims to almost 500 ft on a D12-3--not too shabby. And only .85 oz in the nose.

MetMan

If I get V-2 parts (tail cone and nose) from BMS, will those parts be what I need to get started on a Wasserfall? I think a BT 60 version would be cool.

Yes. Just get a copy of Scale Bash and some extra balsa. It's a pretty easy project.

Back