Asteroid with potential "unknown elements"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My mind goes to exotic scifi plots where these things are fragments of condensed matter or similar things, I expect the real answer will be much more plain.

Meanwhile I will go with: they are actually the drive cores of ancient spacecraft, layered with accreted routine asteroid material. Inside each is a small captive black hole in magnetic containment that was part of the drive energy production system. These are left over from the great war that left Mars lifeless and resulted in the destruction of the planet that turned into the asteroid belt.

My mind goes to exotic scifi plots where these things are fragments of condensed matter or similar things, I expect the real answer will be much more plain.

Meanwhile I will go with: they are actually the drive cores of ancient spacecraft, layered with accreted routine asteroid material. Inside each is a small captive black hole in magnetic containment that was part of the drive energy production system. These are left over from the great war that left Mars lifeless and resulted in the destruction of the planet that turned into the asteroid belt.

That’s absolutely correct, and I’d like to add that the weapons systems on these kinds of ships fire neutronium slugs.

Setting the Martian War aside for a moment and getting back to the article… I wonder how these super-heavy elements would theoretically concentrate together to form a chunk that size. It seems like this stuff would be very rare. Are these elements heavy enough that they would sink to the core of a planet and form a concentrated mass? And then what? The planet gets shattered into pieces and this chunk of heavy elements becomes an asteroid?

I bet there are a lot of very wierd asteroids out there. There are probably some solid gold ones the size of Mount Everest floating around. I’ve heard the idea that some gas giants may produce enough pressure to form huge quantities of diamond. Maybe there‘s a bazillion-carat diamond asteroid out there somewhere.

Are these elements heavy enough that they would sink to the core of a planet and form a concentrated mass? And then what? The planet gets shattered into pieces and this chunk of heavy elements becomes an asteroid?
In short, yes. That's why asteroids mostly fall into categories such as nickel-iron, rocky, or ice.

(Not necessarily a "planet" though. There was a lot of heat in the accretion disc when the solar system was forming, so even small objects could be liquid and naturally sort into density layers before cooling to a solid and then breaking up in collisions with other objects.)

Back