Assembly Lubricant for Aerotech Reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Campbell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What is a good assembly lubricant for Aerotech reloads, specifically, the O-rings. I bought some small squeeze tubes on-line and while they work, I am looking to buy something readily available at a hardware or auto parts store to save a few dollars.

What is a good assembly lubricant for Aerotech reloads, specifically, the O-rings. I bought some small squeeze tubes on-line and while they work, I am looking to buy something readily available at a hardware or auto parts store to save a few dollars.

I just look for high temperature grease from whatever hardware store and have done fine so far.

Super Lube is great, it's what I use myself. But it's not necessary to use some sort of specialized lubricant. My understanding is that AT suggests petroleum jelly (Vaseline) when the little tube of Super Lube is empty.

Last launch I found myself without the tube of Super Lube. No worries, I had a tube of Chap Stick. Worked a treat.

Best -- Terry

Krytox (if I have it) Superlube (if I have it) Vaseline (keep it in the range box) and lastly, the oil from the side of my nose.

All you're trying to do is get the orings "wet" with an oil so they seal. Doesn't really matter which oil as long as it doesn't attack the oring rubber.

thanks for starting this thread as I have nothing in my range box yet, but will.
I just clicked on that Super Lube link and they want $34 for one tube:eek:, there's no way on Earth I'm paying for a tube of lube so it looks like it won't be that in my range box.
How about Astroglide? now THAT'S a Superlube

Last edited:
I've even used sun screen on a K550 when I forgot my tube of lube. All you need is something to keep the O-rings from binding when you tighten the closures. Use petroleum based lube. Silicone based lubes are harder to clean.
I've heard of M motors assembled with sunscreen that worked fine.

For years I filched my wife's container of Vaseline petroleum jelly just before heading out to a launch event. Then I finally broke down and bought my own. A 3.75 ounce container lasts a rocketeer a long, long time. I think I used AeroTech's lubricant on the first three motors I assembled, but I've used Vaseline ever since. Works fine every time.
Bob Schultz

For years I filched my wife's container of Vaseline petroleum jelly just before heading out to a launch event. Then I finally broke down and bought my own. A 3.75 ounce container lasts a rocketeer a long, long time. I think I used AeroTech's lubricant on the first three motors I assembled, but I've used Vaseline ever since. Works fine every time.
Bob Schultz

I used a tube of Vaseline for years, mostly Oct. to April launches. After getting it all over everything when it liquified sitting in the sun at a couple summer launches, I broke down and bought some Super Lube. Less mess and still a lifetime supply.

thanks for starting this thread as I have nothing in my range box yet, but will.
I just clicked on that Super Lube link and they want $34 for one tube:eek:, there's no way on Earth I'm paying for a tube of lube so it looks like it won't be that in my range box.
How about Astroglide? now THAT'S a Superlube
It's $5

Well this has been informative.......I don't leave the house without a tube of Vaseline lip therapy in my pocket, and an "emergency" tube in the center console of my truck. Glad to know I can use it for motor assembly, too! 👍👍

Back