ASP - Wac Corporal with Tiny Tim Booster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these in 18mm collecting dust for some time now. Your pics have inspired me to build it nice job.

I launched my Wac Corporal with Tiny Tim using a D12-0 to A8-3 this past Saturday at the UROC meet (03/27/2021). The winds were kicking up and so I had some wind-cocking. The gap-staging worked, but was too tight. It looks like the A8-3 burned through the struts and damaged the upper part of the Tiny Tim. The Wac Corporal is fine. I want to thank a helpful UROC member for showing where the Tiny Tim landed.

Attachments

• IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 31
Sorry to hear about the damage to your WAC Corporal/Tiny Tim. I have the same kit nearing completion (hoping for good weather today to shoot some paint).

Looking at the photo of your rocket prepped for flight, it doesn't appear that you are using the 'coupler' which bridges the gap between the top of the Tiny Tim booster and the motor mount tube in the WAC; have you found that this is not necessary, that you get positive sustainer ignition without it?

I don't suppose you have a RockSim or Open Rocket file for this particular configuration available to share? (the files on Rocket Reviews do not apear to be for the 24mm booster, 18mm sustainer version)

r/
Dave

Sorry about the damaged flight. I usually make sure the connection between stage is loose enough to separate with one shake from holding the rocket by the corporal. I also use the coupler with the small holes between stages. You might have had too much blowout of the ejection charge to separate the booster.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your WAC Corporal/Tiny Tim. I have the same kit nearing completion (hoping for good weather today to shoot some paint).

Looking at the photo of your rocket prepped for flight, it doesn't appear that you are using the 'coupler' which bridges the gap between the top of the Tiny Tim booster and the motor mount tube in the WAC; have you found that this is not necessary, that you get positive sustainer ignition without it?

I don't suppose you have a RockSim or Open Rocket file for this particular configuration available to share? (the files on Rocket Reviews do not apear to be for the 24mm booster, 18mm sustainer version)

r/
Dave
Dave, the very short coupler piece is there. It is right above the top transition section of the Tiny Tim in between the struts. For me the short coupler tube, which has 2 holes in it, did not fill the entire gap. I had trouble getting the right fit of the Tiny Tim top into the Wac Corporal. I did a lot of sanding. The modeler wants a fit that is good enough to hold the model together during boost, but loose enough to fall away when the second stage fires. I do not have a Rocksim file. For me this model will get plenty of altitude with just an A8-3 in the second stage.

Ok I see the coupler...it's painted black? It seems that the dowel extensions may be too long? Seems like my coupler takes up the whole space between the Tiny Tim and the Corporal so the ejection gasses only come out the small holes allowing more pressure for separation?

Back