asking for help with raised panels

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I'm building a space model and I'd like to model raised panels like on a some form of space ship. I'm thinking about just cutting out and gluing on a layer of some form of card stock. Actually I watched a video of Adam Savage doing this but he was using flat sheets of styrene, I'm making raised panels that wrap around a body tube. I want a material that has some inherent strength so it doesn't delaminate when being rolled around a tube. I was thinking maybe to get some material like business cards are made out of. I've actually gotten some postcard type advertisements in my junk mail that seem like a pretty good material. So I'm looking for suggestions for what readily available materials to use, what techniques to form them into curved shapes, etc.

I'm building a space model and I'd like to model raised panels like on a some form of space ship. I'm thinking about just cutting out and gluing on a layer of some form of card stock. Actually I watched a video of Adam Savage doing this but he was using flat sheets of styrene, I'm making raised panels that wrap around a body tube. I want a material that has some inherent strength so it doesn't delaminate when being rolled around a tube. I was thinking maybe to get some material like business cards are made out of. I've actually gotten some postcard type advertisements in my junk mail that seem like a pretty good material. So I'm looking for suggestions for what readily available materials to use, what techniques to form them into curved shapes, etc.
110lb card stock, available at any home office supply like Staples, Office Depot etc, I buy it in the big package (300 or so Letter size sheets) its not too expensive and I use it for all kinds of rocketry stuff.

110lb card stock, available at any home office supply like Staples, Office Depot etc, I buy it in the big package (300 or so Letter size sheets) its not too expensive and I use it for all kinds of rocketry stuff.
That sounds like a good idea. I only found one item in stock at OD and I might not use enough to justify spending that much but I also see smaller packages listed on ebay for reasonable prices.

That sounds like a good idea. I only found one item in stock at OD and I might not use enough to justify spending that much but I also see smaller packages listed on ebay for reasonable prices.
Check your local craft stores as well, look in the crap booking area...(and no I did not misspell scrapbook unintentionally, my wife is a "scrapbooker" and has lots of the crap).

Kind of the same as Rich said, but if you have a Hobby Lobby or Michael's near you go peruse the paper isle (Actually, they have a few different paper isles).

They sell single sheets in hundreds of thicknesses and colors. Don't worry about the color, it'll be hidden under the primer and stuff, but even in the varying thicknesses there are several varieties of stiffness and porosity. I have found it to be quite the gold mine, paper wise, for the type of surface details you are talking about.

Also look into trying some 1/64" plywood, depending on the size of rocket you are looking to build. I have used it for wraps on thing as small as bt-55.

Checkout strips, rods, shapes, etc at:
https://evergreenscalemodels.com/
One of my local hobby shop for rc planes and trains has these available.

I have a range of 1/70th scale rockets i have built, and the last couple (falcon heavy, space shuttle stack) i've given up on cardboard/balsa/etc and am just using largely precut polystyrene. Looks good, takes little effort. Do need to apply with a thin crazy glue (bob smith gold works) for poly to cardboard bond.

Bob

I used 65lb cardstock glued to the body tube with superglue gel. Not the easiest to do, but it worked. Not the greatest photo, but you can see the multiple panels I glued on.DSC01691.JPG

I feel like with the huge number of people out there with 3D printers, maybe someone has/could come up with an embossing machine to do either various standards or complete customs.

2 versions could be a 'pasta roller' style where you feed the paper or maybe styrene through like cutting the noodles. The other would be a more conventional platen press. For rocket sized pieces, I imagine it would be somewhat inexpensive to build a purpose built press or if you have a press due to other hobbies/work, then it would be really easy. Not sure how well 3D printed platens would hold up, though. Seems like a bad fit or would require a lot of infill. Maybe backfill the hollow stuff with epoxy. . .

A google search for DIY embossing showed a lot of options. Some showed using a rolling pin over a pattern sheet. That seems like an interesting option. If someone made 3D printed pattern sheets and a person bought a soft silicone roller, I bet the results could be pretty good! Seems like a possible way to make wraps like you would use for a Saturn V or similar repeating pattern.

Sandy.

paper / cardstock, various thicknesses / weights
thin ply: 1/64", 1/32" ,etc..

The plastic styrene sheets can be cut, then heated in an oven to soften. then [quickly] lay on the tube to cool & take shape..

I have used the aluminum foil tape for years on many things. The tape listed above will work but if you want a better raised effect then get thicker tape. .003 is not very thick, I have used .010 thick for the panels over the thinner tape. Make sure to scuff it to give "tooth" for paint to stick too. Also the thicker the tape, the more it can be burnished around curves and into concave surfaces before it rips.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 10
Back