As promised: Build thread for 3" WAC Corporal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Except for the balsa that makes the nose cone, everything I needed for this build was in the tube rack or parts pile. So the first step was to make the nose.

The balsa block was 3 1/4" square and 24" long. A 12" cone, 3" shoulder, and 1" base length gives a 16" block. I cut it 17 1/2" long with a chop saw, and immediately noticed...
02Balsa block cut.jpg

...a crack or check or whatever it's called. The doggone thing was awfully close to the edge. I figured that it would be better if that was at the shoulder end rather than the tip. If it opened up during turning I could control the shaping of the nose better at the shoulder than if it opened up near the tip.

Next, drill a 1/2" hole for an aluminum shank. Rather little room to play with (3" diameter airframe!) so a brad-point bit was absolutely essential. Good thing I bought a nice set a few months back. Also a good thing I have a floor-mount drill press. The center was marked by slicing two diagonals on the cut end, with a razor knife.
03Drilling.jpg

Add epoxy to the hole and shove in a scrap of 1/2" aluminum rod. Now you can see the cuts that marked the center.
04Shank.jpg

Carved off the corners to reduce the amount of work and make it roughly cylindrical.
05Rough carved.jpg

Although I have a metal lathe, I wanted to use a drill press for this work, to see just how feasible it would be. Ran into a few issues.
A short piece of airframe tube was slid over the shank before chucking in the drill press. That was my gauge for turning the shoulder Once it's chucked in place DO NOT remove it till it's done. You may never get it centered quite the same.
06Rough turning.jpg
In one of his books Peter Alway suggests the saw blade of a Swiss Army knife as a roughing tool. Following that idea I made a roughing tool by stacking half a dozen reciprocating saw blades (clearance, 50 cents each) and epoxying the end of the stack in a piece of PVC pipe for a handle. Those blades were extremely sharp with coarse, nastily pointy teeth, so in use I always cut on the side turning AWAY from me. If it got yanked out of my hand, I wanted it to go across the shop rather than into me. I like my insides and my blood right where they are.

I started out by making the block very roughly circular, with a taper. The block is going to wobble, and in the past I've learned that the more weight there is near the tip, the more pronounced the wobble/vibration. Lowest speed of the drill press at first. And worked on getting the shoulder diameter correct first. Once the shoulder is right, slide the piece of airframe tube onto it and you have a nice gauge for the base diameter; just bring it down to the o.d. of the tube. Unfortunately the shoulder wasn't perfectly circular, so I have a little hand work to do where the shoulder meets the base diameter.

If you simply press the cutting tool or sandpaper hard against the balsa, you end up with something that is decidedly non-circular. Rough cutting means holding the cutting tool as steady as possible, letting it hit the high spots. It takes a good while. As the high spots come down, use a finer tool. I used a coarse file for later cutting (still hadn't gotten all the high spots down). One way to hold the file fairly steady is shown below. The tip of the file is held against the column of the drill press. Much steadier than holding the tip in my other hand.
07Rounding.jpg

The highest speed I used was about 800 rpm. Work goes faster at higher speeds, but the vibration increases and once again, you get a non-circular result.

When the base was the correct diameter and the tip was about 1" diameter, I switched to sandpaper and sanding screen. I found that (in my hands) 120 grit sanding screen worked significantly faster than 50 grit sandpaper. Probably because the balsa dust could get out easily through the holes. However, sanding screen leaves its pattern of ridges if the screen is held at right angles to the axis. Hold the screen at a 30-45 degree angle and vary it a bit. I finished with 220 grit screen and 150 grit sandpaper.

And...finished....almost.
08Finished nose cone.jpg

I still need to clean up the shoulder-base joint, give the tip (maybe the whole nose) a good soaking in thin CA. I left the tip about 1/4" diameter because it would surely break off if I took it to a point. It's a sport model anyway. And I need to cut off the rest of the shank. I could remove the shank entirely by cutting notches in the end of a piece of tubing, and use it as a trepanning bit to core out the shank. I've done that for other homemade nose cones. But I think I'll drill and tap the end for an eyebolt instead.

Unfortunately it's slightly over length (but it's a sport model anyway). And it's slightly oval in places, but you can't tell by looking at it.

If I were doing it over, I'd get a plane and carve down each corner with an equal number of strokes before turning. I think that would have made the thing vibrate less.

When we last left our intrepid prfesser, he was doing a build thread on a 3" WAC Corporal. Evil, nasty life got in the way. But he's finally back at it! (the Astron Cobra and the Super Big Bertha are very slowly drying, so it's time to move...backward)

I finally decided that the round tip of the nose cone didn't look so great, so I hand-sanded it to a sharper point. It'll be soaked in CA or slow epoxy.

The motor mount will be next. It'll be a bit tricky because the aft end of the WAC Corporal has a short transition which I want to fill with expanding foam. Three regular-sized centering rings for the MMT and a smaller ring for the aft end of the transition. The MMT is phenolic, and for a very good reason---I found an unused piece. 😁 The tube has been sanded and wiped clean with 91% IPA, but it will be sanded and wiped again where the epoxy will go, just before gluing.

The transition will be made as I have for several other high-power rockets. Templates printed on 110 lb cardstock. Each will be cut out and glued closed very carefully, so that all are the same size. Each will then be soaked in laminating epoxy and nested snugly together for a structure with a wall thickness about 0.05".

The fins have been rough-cut from 1/4" five-ply birch. They'll be sanded to final form later.

1654712327677.jpeg

The finished (rough) transition. Five layers of 110-lb cardstock plus epoxy, just under 1/16" thick. The glue tabs were staggered so that the piece would be reasonably symmetrical.

The two forward centering rings have been epoxied in place. This assembly will be glued into the airframe after slotting for TTW fins.

The aft centering ring has two T-nuts, partly ground off, for old-school Z-clip retention. They'll be epoxied in place today, and the transition's wide end will need to be sanded down to fit properly.

MMT and transition.jpg

Where do you get an IPA that's 91 % a.b.v.? ;)
I can get it at a good drug store.

However, I use Denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) from the hardware store for cleaned rocket parts and smoothing epoxy fillets. Works just as well and much cheaper.

Good to know it's that way. I also isopropyl alcohol from the drug store or drug aisle at the supermarket, if I'm not using acetone.

It was a joke about india pale ale.

I can get it at a good drug store.

However, I use Denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) from the hardware store for cleaned rocket parts and smoothing epoxy fillets. Works just as well and much cheaper.
FWIW wear gloves when using denatured alcohol. My understanding is that the amount of methanol (and other components to render it non-drinkable) can vary tremendously; some denatured alcohols have been reported to be almost 50% methanol. Which can be absorbed through the skin. And is very bad for the liver and the eyes.

(Fun fact: the old remedy for methanol poisoning was to give the patient large amounts of ethanol. Neither one is poisonous per se, the liver turns them into nastiness. Ethanol is converted to acetaldehyde, which isn't nearly as nasty as the formaldehyde formed from methanol. So you swamp the system with ethanol and most of the methanol is excreted unchanged. Patient ends up with one heck of a hangover, though...)

For what it's worth, I've also known denatured alcohol to contain unknown (by me) dissolved solids, so that there's white residue left after the alcohol(s) is gone.

When I didn't know better, I used it on my face after shaving. After quite a while, my girlfriend (now wife) finally told me my face tasted bad, and this could be hours after shaving. She hadn't wanted to say anything, because she figured it was "just Hoboken".

FWIW wear gloves when using denatured alcohol. My understanding is that the amount of methanol (and other components to render it non-drinkable) can vary tremendously; some denatured alcohols have been reported to be almost 50% methanol. Which can be absorbed through the skin. And is very bad for the liver and the eyes.

(Fun fact: the old remedy for methanol poisoning was to give the patient large amounts of ethanol. Neither one is poisonous per se, the liver turns them into nastiness. Ethanol is converted to acetaldehyde, which isn't nearly as nasty as the formaldehyde formed from methanol. So you swamp the system with ethanol and most of the methanol is excreted unchanged. Patient ends up with one heck of a hangover, though...)
Great to have a true Professor as a member of our group.

I appreciate the kind words, Zed, but each of you knows a lot more than I do about some aspect of rocketry (especially paint and finish...). I'm just another rocketnut with a different skill set than some.

All I did today on the WAC Corporal was to slot the body tube for TTW fin tabs. By the time I was back from my walk at 7am it was already in the 80s and with 95% humidity. Too hot and humid to do much outside (well, I did RoundUp the sidewalk before it hit 90) or in the shop. Hoping to get A/C in the shop in the next few weeks.

Airframe slots were cut with an x-acto blade and a piece of aluminum angle taped to the tube.

Transition has been sanded to shape. The two centering rings remaining will provide reinforcement at the fore and aft ends of the transition.

The shock cord will go through the 3/16" launch lug and will be epoxied to the MMT. I think the edge of the lug will be less abrasive to the cord than the edges of a drilled hole would be.

Fins have had edges rounded. I know, they're supposed to be tapered. It won't be a perfect scale model.

Airframe et al.jpg

As happens all too often, I didn’t think everything through. My preferred method of attaching TTW fins is described in another post; fins are glued in place before inserting the aft centering ring. Unfortunately, the WAC Corporate requires that the tail transition be glued in place before attaching the fins. The aft ends of the fins taper inward and the transition simply can’t be forced in place once the fins are glued.

I could have cut the fin slots the whole way to the end of the airframe, then apply glue and slide the assembled MMT & fin can in place. My experience with this method has been less than satisfactory (not a reflection of the method but of my klutz-i-ness).

First, the surface of the MMT was sanded and wiped with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Then a batch of slow epoxy was mixed (I wanted lots of time to make adjustments if necessary.)

Epoxy was applied to the fin tabs so that they’re well-wetted and the joint doesn’t get “starved” for epoxy as it soaks into the wood.

Fins before gluing.jpg

The remaining epoxy was thickened with silica, then applied to the inside of the airframe and (pile it on!) to the MMT where the fin tabs will land.MMT before attaching.jpg

The MMT + centering rings were then slid into the airframe. The fit of the transition was checked and sanded slightly.

Thickened epoxy was applied to the inside of the transition and to the centering rings and it was slid in place.
Attaching transition02.jpg Transition attached2.jpg

The fins were slid into their slots and held in place with the foam sheet shown while the epoxy cured. (The helper is Boo, a seventeen-pound scaredy-cat who gets chased around by the two-pound kitten Smudge Pot.)

Fins in place01.jpg

And the finished product.
Finished fins.jpg

I messed up a bit on the fin shape; if you look closely the fins don't quite reach the transition, so I'll need to fill in the space when I apply fillets. But overall I'm pleased with the result.

Still need to cut the airframe to length and build the electronics bay.

Back