as if it wasn't small enough

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
to begin with...

MMX_2.jpg

good job of making it look just like a 9v battery!

Originally posted by stymye
good job of making it look just like a 9v battery!

the mosquito downscale is powered by Quest MMX motors

What scale factor are you using? The smallest mosquito I've heard of is if I remember correctly, 1/4 downscale. Ran on straight BP.

Yeah there was an article in HPR mag. These guys build micro-micro skeeters that as I remember flew on BP 'motors'. I'd have to dig out the mag to remember more detail.

has the MMX skeeter flown?

it hasn't flown yet.
though i did glue on a tiny piece of carbon fiber launch lug to match the carbon fiber airframe. the nose cone was made slightly longer than normal because i made the body tube slightly short and wanted it to appear scale-like when painted.

it came to 54% scale

Since we're on the topic of Mosquitoes, here's mine.:D

Single 24mm, Has flown on C11's, D12's and E9's. The D12-5 and E9-6 are my favorite motors for it.:D

Originally posted by rstaff3
Yeah there was an article in HPR mag. These guys build micro-micro skeeters that as I remember flew on BP 'motors'. I'd have to dig out the mag to remember more detail.

has the MMX skeeter flown?

now that sounds interesting.. .i bet i could make one small enough to fly indoors on these cold winter nights :D

i have 1/8" CF tubing that would work well for that, i think!
same stuff i used for the launch lug on this one!

thanks for the idea!

Here's the details...

"The Scale Mosquito Drag Race" HPRVol13 #9, Nov 1998 by Tom Dean, Phil Martin, and Ky Michaelson (in case anyone knows them)

1/4 scale, launch lug BT, microscope and tweezer assembly,

motors: custom, reloadable, nozzleless, BP and an Estes igniter - 1/16A (calculated I guess :))

In the photos, Tom dean has a patch over his eye, wonder if there's a skeeter in there?

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
Since we're on the topic of Mosquitoes, here's mine.:D

i had a 480% Upscale until a few days ago.
its last flight was on three Estes E9-8 motors to about 2800 feet. i saw it go down into a grove of trees.

Mosquito_3E.jpg

this has to be absolutely the smallest model i've ever built!
now...
what to use for a launch lug?
:eek:

23_percent_for_nothing.jpg

now thats tiny!... for a scale launch lug ,mabey the straw from a spray can ? with a match head motor for propulsion

Now that's wild.
I've thought of doing a micro mosquito, but never a nano-mosquito.
Maybe we can get Animal Motor Works to create a motor for it called the Mosquito Fart. :D

Tim

What scale factor is it? 1/8 or 1/16 scale?

Nice!!! I was going to but I couldn't get my hand still enough!

Inspired by these super tiny Skeeters, I was going to build one using some tube, small enough to use a piece of quickmatch as the propellant. Couldn't find a suitable tube. Now I'm thinking Mean Machine downscale using a tower pad. Have to keep thinking of what to scrounge.

Originally posted by Elapid
now...
what to use for a launch lug?
:eek:

23_percent_for_nothing.jpg

Holy ****!! What will power that?! Someone said something about a match rocket. But igniton would be 'unsafe'?
Karl

Not unsafe if the match propellant is lit using an igniter and standard controller. Match head rockets are in general unsafe, but probably not at that scale :)

Matchhead rocket's wouldn't cut it. I made about 50 and my distance record couldn't have been 4 inches.

Suppose you could post a pic of an original and the two downscales to give a better perspective on size?

Greg

heck, launching that thing would be *easy*!

Here's how... :D

Build a launch pad that houses a 13mm motor (1/4A is fine) and holds it securly. The top of the pad, just above the motor, has a blow-hole and snuffer tube that *just* fits inside that little 'sketter.

You anchor the pad so it doesn't move and set the rocket onto the snuffer tube and let the EJECTION CHARGE send her to kingdom come!

LOL

i tried both of 'em!
the bigger one flew away, over the house, to about 75 - 100' high...never to be seen again.

the smaller one; i tried packing 4f powder in there, but it didn't burn energetically enough to lift the rocket.

maybe a tiny sliver of AP?
hmmm...

I like your idea jim!
the rocket wouldn't need any on-board propellant, but would get a nice push off the pad using the ejection!
hmmm...

lots to do...
i'll make another 54% and try again!
:D

Latest posts

Back