Art to find a field

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaturnV

Reaction score
Sowing with something my field. Of course field is not mine.The big flat field without grass is something amazing. You can safe launch small rockets quite high and then find them!
Suffice fins are yellow, orange or red and have binoculars :)So no longer appropriate field nearby. This is a big problem.

There are small fields nearby. But they do not become rockets flying over 1500-2000 feet. Those rockets are no longer interesting to me.To be completely safe, the radius of the field must be greater than the theoretical horizontal flight of the rocket.Yes, if a rocket or engine was tested many times and proved that flies well maybe less field.But mine are experimental, but when they start to fly well are no longer interesting to me :)

Once I searched with google maps field. I found a good one. And when I went I was disappointed . It was full of electric poles. But the rocket was good and tested and no problems :)

But foreign field have risks. How to know what a jerk belongs? To you is even more dangerous can get shot like a dog. Here most they can beat :)But you have your deserts :) And here no :(

Last edited:
If the field does not belong to anyone, it is so overgrown with tall grass and shrubs, it is not suitable.Good fields usually belong to someone. There is a small gap of about a month when old harvested crop and has not planted new.Unfortunately, this period is over :) Now why I hawe rocket when there is nowhere safe to launch?

Share your experience in the search fields :)
Once as I was looking rocket in the field came a monkey with jeep
What are you doing here in hell?
I told him that I was looking meteorological rocket :)

I went on internet and searched for nearby rocket club. Success! No need for monkey with jeep :)

There are no clubs :)No deserts.Villagers think that I'm looking for gold with this equipment :)

And how these clubs find a flield? The field belongs to any member or pay? :)Farmers are generally quite stupid and limited people and they are difficult to comprehend. Bulgarian least :)

Last edited:
The land is almost always privately owned. One club I fly at the land owner lets us fly for free but we give him money at end of year. This is a sod farm. As long as no damage to field, everything good.
It is my understanding that it takes much time and patience to find flying field. One club was recently kicked off property as rocket landed on someone's roof. Took alomost year to find new field.

I went on internet and searched for nearby rocket club. Success! No need for monkey with jeep :)

Yes. The typical approach in the U.S. is to form a rocket club. Then the club members work to secure a field, get permits, waivers, etc.

The land is almost always privately owned. One club I fly at the land owner lets us fly for free but we give him money at end of year. This is a sod farm. As long as no damage to field, everything good.
It is my understanding that it takes much time and patience to find flying field. One club was recently kicked off property as rocket landed on someone's roof. Took alomost year to find new field.
I do not hit the roof but once fell on a man in the yard :) turned out to be a good person and returned it, good Onboard video had. Since then'm constantly searching for good field. I found it about a month but now it planted something :)And my rockets began to fly away :)I'll probably find a nice big field and talk with the owner. But hard to convince him that I would not seek gold there :)Not just gold here was once the Roman Empire and has various artifacts hoof criminal types looking with metal detectors :)

Last edited:
The good thing here is that there are no houses in the field.Yes field belong to somebody but he lives in the village.
The bad thing is that the big fields do not belong to one person. And it becomes very difficult to convince 10 owners :)

Last edited:
Sorry to bother perhaps non-essential things for you. But yesterday tested the first stage of a rocket and it flew horizontally :) If it was a two-stage rocket would have definitely bounced right the village :)I want to launch rockets but do not want to kill someone with them or damage to property :)

I have a software of course. But deal with experimental rockets and engines. Engineers of the shuttle also had software but we saw what happened.A small error in making any detail, preparation of fuel, etc. and rocket fly completely different than anticipated by the software.For example, yesterday. Motor burned more slowly than expected and burned unevenly. As a consequence, the rocket lost stability and tilted. But this was no way to know before the start :)
Without a large and safe field did not feel well before the start. Yes when the rocket take off vertical well not bother. but not always the case :)
You will see very soon the flight on the same rocket but well-fueled motor. There will be nothing same with the first flight :)

Last edited:
Yes, if I do not find a suitable large field just will not launch rockets. The feeling of losing rocket or one that may have caused harm to someone is stronger than the desire to launch at any cost.However, this is just a hobby and one has to feel good feelings, not to become a criminal and spend the rest of his life in prison :)

It helps to make friends with the local farmers. Beer often helps in this endeavor.

There is a problem - there is a solution:) Little cleaned and collected old junk. This is only the beginning:)
Untitled.jpg

It helps to make friends with the local farmers. Beer often helps in this endeavor.
Here is a wine-growing region.Everyone has a 1-2 tons of excellent wine, everyone also produce something even more delicious is called brandy. With beer hard to earn them :). And here I may talk a lot but in real life silent like a log :) But I'll try, no other way :)

Hypothetical dialogue with the farmer (pessimistic):
Hey friend can I ask you something?
Say?
Can I launch rockets in your field?
What ??? Are you crazy?To light my work?
Do not worry friend, they are completely safe :)
At most to land by parachute only very slowly and will seek :)
What ??? Walking through the corn?
Do not worry my friend, will watch :)
Forget!

Last edited:
Probably have better chance after harvest. Most importantly is politeness. One advantage we have in USA is that NAR and TRA have liability insurance should something go terribly wrong.

Dialogue with the farmer (optimistic, even fantastic):
Hey friend can I ask you something?
Yes of course.
Can I launch rockets in your field?
Of course, even myself just thinking to begin to deal with rocketry!Come have a drink and discuss the creation of the club!

Probably have better chance after harvest. Most importantly is politeness. One advantage we have in USA is that NAR and TRA have liability insurance should something go terribly wrong.
Yes, these organizations have deep meaning. To provide people good conditions to practice their hobby. I was almost despaired, thinking them to any obstacles that only count the number of bolts on rockets :)

There are other options. There always is. For example, I lost 3-4 rockets in tall grass and shrubs. but only 2 km was wonderful field. There are places that are so hilly that there are no farmers. There are better places in the mountains. But most importantly rockets to fly well. That could pretty to do some work.
The devil is in the details, little things.

Back