• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Art Applewhite - 29mm Cone Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
It's a good way to burn an expensive motor on a small field. It's a good example of aerobrake recovery. It's a conversation starter. It's a pretty decent flyer and it's not too difficult to build. You can annoy the rocketry purists, win the drag race and not even break out in a sweat when walking over to recover it. It all screams Art Applewhite and it's done with a cone sporting a US flag while hiding a 29mm motor mount. When it reaches apogee, it just flips over and floats down. It is new and unopened.

I am asking $40

This kit is offered for sale in an effort to liquidate my collection of kits and is being offered via cross postings on The Rocketry Forum and Ye Olde Rocket Forum. The price indicated is what I have determined by looking for evidence of similar sales but, admittedly, might reflect a poor judgement on my part. I'm just doing the best that I can. The price does NOT include shipping. Interested persons are invited to contact me via PM and I will calculate the shipping. Payment is expected by means of PayPal, Zelle or Venmo. My intention is to make shipments twice per week after confirming receipt of funds. I will try to give the most accurate descriptions I am able to provide and will happily answer any specific questions either by PM or within the post thread.

I'm trying to be fair and honor a "first come, first serve" precedence when dealing with inquiries. That invovles juggling messages I see while at work at the hospital coming from both TRF and YORF. That started out easy but got more complicated as there were more and more rockets listed. I made some mistakes and for that I am sorry.

I also don't mind holding rockets as you wait for more to become available. This does help with shipping costs and nobody has been more horrified than I over the current postal rates. That said, I am going to have to change one thing. I am only going to set aside "sold" rockets. I tried it the other way and a few times I was left in the lurch when others were interested in a rocket. That was only a mild annoyance. What I cannot tolerate is the mistakes that I made in selling something that had been promised. With my faulty memory and hectic schedule, the only way to prevent this when so many rockets are up for sale (with hundreds more to come) is to strictly segregate the sold stuff from the unsold stuff. A hold with an intent to buy now gets 24 hours, barring exigent circumstances, after that, it's back on the market.

20220327_171529.jpg

Attachments

• 20220327_171533.jpg
    20220327_171533.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220327_171545.jpg
    20220327_171545.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220327_171553.jpg
    20220327_171553.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220327_171559.jpg
    20220327_171559.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 10
It's a good way to burn an expensive motor on a small field. It's a good example of aerobrake recovery. It's a conversation starter. It's a pretty decent flyer and it's not too difficult to build. You can annoy the rocketry purists, win the drag race and not even break out in a sweat when walking over to recover it. It all screams Art Applewhite and it's done with a cone sporting a US flag while hiding a 29mm motor mount. When it reaches apogee, it just flips over and floats down. It is new and unopened.

I am asking $40

This kit is offered for sale in an effort to liquidate my collection of kits and is being offered via cross postings on The Rocketry Forum and Ye Olde Rocket Forum. The price indicated is what I have determined by looking for evidence of similar sales but, admittedly, might reflect a poor judgement on my part. I'm just doing the best that I can. The price does NOT include shipping. Interested persons are invited to contact me via PM and I will calculate the shipping. Payment is expected by means of PayPal, Zelle or Venmo. My intention is to make shipments twice per week after confirming receipt of funds. I will try to give the most accurate descriptions I am able to provide and will happily answer any specific questions either by PM or within the post thread.

I'm trying to be fair and honor a "first come, first serve" precedence when dealing with inquiries. That invovles juggling messages I see while at work at the hospital coming from both TRF and YORF. That started out easy but got more complicated as there were more and more rockets listed. I made some mistakes and for that I am sorry.

I also don't mind holding rockets as you wait for more to become available. This does help with shipping costs and nobody has been more horrified than I over the current postal rates. That said, I am going to have to change one thing. I am only going to set aside "sold" rockets. I tried it the other way and a few times I was left in the lurch when others were interested in a rocket. That was only a mild annoyance. What I cannot tolerate is the mistakes that I made in selling something that had been promised. With my faulty memory and hectic schedule, the only way to prevent this when so many rockets are up for sale (with hundreds more to come) is to strictly segregate the sold stuff from the unsold stuff. A hold with an intent to buy now gets 24 hours, barring exigent circumstances, after that, it's back on the market.

View attachment 511924

Shipping included or extra?

Shipping included or extra?

Send me a PM with your shipping info and I will calculate it and let you know how much it will be. I default to priority mail except for when the USPS goes totally nuts and its much cheaper with one of the other carriers. I can do first class mail if requested.

ALternatively, about a dozen people have "hold boxes" in which I put purchased rockets for later shipping. The idea is that with the crazy rates charged these days, it's cheaper to consolidate and these folk are waiting to see if anything else catches their fancy.

That is a great kit. Do you have the staged/clustered version?

I built the 3 stage version. It had a triple 24mm cluster at the bottom, an 18mm in the middle and a 13mm on top. There is probably a thread about it here on TRF and I know there is a review over on Rocket Reviews.com.

Do you have one in your collection that you plan to sell in the Yard Sale forum?

The 3 stager was a plan on his website. I don't know if he still has the plans up.

As to what I have to sell, I really don't know. There are lots of boxes but they were packaged up by my congregation after Hurricane Harvey. I was in San Antonio with my wife in the hospital. About half my stash didn't survive. I'm just opening the boxes one by one and selling off because I promised my wife she could have a guest room again for when her sisters visit.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, best of luck with your yard sale items.

PS - The only free plans on the Applewhite site were for 13mm and MMX size versions of the larger kits he had for sale. His site does not have much else but those on it now. His kits like this one may be harder to find these days, good luck with the sales.

PS - The only free plans on the Applewhite site were for 13mm and MMX size versions of the larger kits he had for sale. His site does not have much else but those on it now. His kits like this one may be harder to find these days, good luck with the sales.

Hi I found plenty of other plans on his "free stuff" page, from 13mm stuff all the way to the 54mm stealth.
It's all here: http://www.artapplewhite.com/free/index.html

Check out his video of my 54mm stealth, the link is also on that page :)

Yes, but the historical kits that were once for sale like the cones and saucers are not available for free download, hence the collectible value of this particular unique kit on sale here for a reasonable price in this yard sale forum.

You are in luck. Look what I found sitting on an old hard drive.

Attachments

• descon14.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 27
I also found this thread. My cone was in pretty rough condition by this time. I suppose the original build thread was from before the time TRF crashed with a DB error. A lot of the old site was archived but never integrated into the new version, at least while I was on the staff. I have no idea what happened in recent years.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/applewhite-3-stage-cluster-cone.3468/

I remember that thread now, and did not realize that it was yours, very cool repair job of another great Applewhite model. Thanks for sharing that cluster/stager version. Sorry for bringing it up, I did not want to digress too much with free downloadable plans in your Yard Sale thread here, for a really great hard to find collectible kit at a great price, someone should snap up that USA cone model and get ready for the next July club launch!

Sorry for the tangent again, just wanted to add that the 3 stager cone version is particularly interesting as a starting point, using the same construction and staging method, but resized to the right scale for a scratch build of the Werner Von Braum three stage ferry rocket, like the Glencoe model. This particular item as a one-stager cone could be modified maybe to have a little glide back booster on top as well as a fun-size WVB rocket.

Back