ARS Patriot rocket kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The paint job was quick & easy! I used acrylics and markers, which really turned out.
Also, I tried a weird technique, I got some Elmers glue, and some q-tips and I spread it on the fins to seal them, it was just an idea that I thought of, it mostly works, and it also fillets the fins, too!

Guys, let me know what you think! :)
Thanks,

YES! I did it! I flew it for it's test.................ITS GOOD! :)
[video=youtube;GDbSvbsfBy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDbSvbsfBy8[/video]
Thanks,

Andrew, a bit of feed back:
(please take it as feed back. it's not my intent to 'bash' you in any way. but since you are planning to sell it..)

first off, redo the artwork. the picture and the finished product should share similarities; be as close as possible in relation to each other. What you've got drawn is a much shorter & fatter version of what you've produced. Your finished rocket is long & thin.

You should have taken a bit more care with the finishing. Plan out how you want to finish it, and use a ruler / straightedge to get nice crisp lines. Remember, this is the first thing they're seeing, the "phototype" and you want it to look as good as possible. You may also want to look at investing in a "wrap" that you could print out & apply. That would get your details square & neat. Should be easy enough with a graphics program and a colour printer.

Do a proper sim to get the predicted altitude. Then perform valid method to get the actual altitude. There are a few methods to choose from, an altimeter is probably your best bet.. I doubt a thousand feet from an A8-3.

Andrew, a bit of feed back:
(please take it as feed back. it's not my intent to 'bash' you in any way. but since you are planning to sell it..)

first off, redo the artwork. the picture and the finished product should share similarities; be as close as possible in relation to each other. What you've got drawn is a much shorter & fatter version of what you've produced. Your finished rocket is long & thin.

You should have taken a bit more care with the finishing. Plan out how you want to finish it, and use a ruler / straightedge to get nice crisp lines. Remember, this is the first thing they're seeing, the "phototype" and you want it to look as good as possible. You may also want to look at investing in a "wrap" that you could print out & apply. That would get your details square & neat. Should be easy enough with a graphics program and a colour printer.

Do a proper sim to get the predicted altitude. Then perform valid method to get the actual altitude. There are a few methods to choose from, an altimeter is probably your best bet.. I doubt a thousand feet from an A8-3.

It's so weird, on a computer screen the artwork make the rocket look fat. But when printed out it doesn't quite look like that.
If you watch the video, once the ejection charges comes out, it takes 10 seconds to come down, and it came down pretty fast, it was nearly out of sight.
So these are about the altitudes that would come from the ARS Patriot:
A8-3 - 1K ----B6-4 - 1.7K ---- C6-5 - 2.5K.
Yeah, that is some HIGH altitude!
Thanks,

So these are about the altitudes that would come from the ARS Patriot:
A8-3 - 1K ----B6-4 - 1.7K ---- C6-5 - 2.5K.
Yeah, that is some HIGH altitude!

Sorry but those numbers are not even close to correct. For a quick comparison, the Estes Hi-flier, which is of similar overall dimensions and well optimized for flying high, is rated by Estes at 1500ft on a C6. Compared to your Patriot, the Hi-flier has thinner fins and one fewer of them, so it will have significantly less drag. You can therefore reasonably expect your Patriot to fly somewhat less than 1500ft on a C6, and way less than 1000ft on an A8. And there's nothing wrong with that; what *is* wrong is pulling crazy numbers out of the air.

As dr wogz said:
Do a proper sim to get the predicted altitude. Then perform valid method to get the actual altitude. There are a few methods to choose from, an altimeter is probably your best bet..

What's your total weight? I'll try to throw together a quick OR model to give a rough idea, if you're not OR or Rocksim-equipped.

Sorry but those numbers are not even close to correct. For a quick comparison, the Estes Hi-flier, which is of similar overall dimensions and well optimized for flying high, is rated by Estes at 1500ft on a C6. Compared to your Patriot, the Hi-flier has thinner fins and one fewer of them, so it will have significantly less drag. You can therefore reasonably expect your Patriot to fly somewhat less than 1500ft on a C6, and way less than 1000ft on an A8. And there's nothing wrong with that; what *is* wrong is pulling crazy numbers out of the air.

As dr wogz said:

What's your total weight? I'll try to throw together a quick OR model to give a rough idea, if you're not OR or Rocksim-equipped.[/COLOR]

Believe it or not:
It weighs 1 ounce.
Thanks,

I did an incredibly quick and dirty sim, eyeballing everything. The OR file is attached. Here are the sim results, first with smooth paint and rounded fins, and second with normal paint and square fins (closer to what you built, as far as I can tell from the pictures):
ars_patriot_sim.png

Interestingly, it sims to over 1600ft on a C6, higher than a Hi-flier. On an A8, on the other hand, it sims to between 300 and 400 ft.

By the way, you would do well to verify that the rocket is actually stable with a C6 in it. You can't just assume that because you flew it with an A8 then it's fine with a C6. If you have your CG of the fully packed rocket without engine we can plug that in; for now I just made something up to force it to be stable.

Anyway, this should get you started (but nowhere near finished).

Attachments

• ars_patriot.ork
    2.1 KB · Views: 41
I did an incredibly quick and dirty sim, eyeballing everything. The OR file is attached. Here are the sim results, first with smooth paint and rounded fins, and second with normal paint and square fins (closer to what you built, as far as I can tell from the pictures):
View attachment 324806

Interestingly, it sims to over 1600ft on a C6, higher than a Hi-flier. On an A8, on the other hand, it sims to between 300 and 400 ft.

By the way, you would do well to verify that the rocket is actually stable with a C6 in it. You can't just assume that because you flew it with an A8 then it's fine with a C6. If you have your CG of the fully packed rocket without engine we can plug that in; for now I just made something up to force it to be stable.

Anyway, this should get you started (but nowhere near finished).

Should I test it another time, but in style: with a C5-3?
Thanks,

Should I test it another time, but in style: with a C5-3?

Really you should test it with all recommended engines. C6-5 (or C6-7) would make more sense than a C5, which is not what most people would purchase or fly these days. Before flying it you should confirm it is stable with the C engine.

Oh, and, needless to say, if you test fly it on a C, make sure you have a big field. :)

Back