Arreaux and Cesaroni Pro29

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbooregon

Reaction score
Hi all,
After a lot of looking, reading and thinking I've narrowed my future 1st mid-power to the Aerotech Arreaux. I plan on using the Cesaroni Pro29 3 Grain Motor Casing so that by using spacers I can have a variety of reloads to use.
The kit now comes with the aluminium retainer so my question is is the 12 inch motor tube long enough for the casing and the metal mesh? Or do I need to buy a longer tube if I wanted to utilize the mesh?
Also, I've read past posts and it seems all CA construction, as it says to use in the instructions works for some and others insist that epoxy is the only way to go or at least use it for fin internal fillets....your experience??
I really appreciate any ideas, suggestions or relating of your experience.
Cheers

That thing will go high in the sky.!!! I would use wood glue or epoxy. (edit: Aerotech has plastic parts. I'd use Epoxy) If I'm reading you right, I wouldn't mount the metal retainer. Allow room to epoxy a threaded retainer on the exposed motor mount tube. Like this one or similar............ (By doing so would allow you to run any length of motor you wish.)
29mm Estes Retainer (apogeerockets.com)

Last edited:
Hi all,
After a lot of looking, reading and thinking I've narrowed my future 1st mid-power to the Aerotech Arreaux. I plan on using the Cesaroni Pro29 3 Grain Motor Casing so that by using spacers I can have a variety of reloads to use.
The kit now comes with the aluminium retainer so my question is is the 12 inch motor tube long enough for the casing and the metal mesh? Or do I need to buy a longer tube if I wanted to utilize the mesh?
Also, I've read past posts and it seems all CA construction, as it says to use in the instructions works for some and others insist that epoxy is the only way to go or at least use it for fin internal fillets....your experience??
Cheers

I would leave out the mesh completely, and use nomex blanket for the chute.

If you want to use the mesh, there would still be enough room. I believe the case is less than 8 inches long, leaving 4 inches for mesh. You could also use a bit less.

Suggest JB weld or epoxy for the build since it uses a lot of plastic, aluminum and aerofiber parts.

IMG_20200402_192803_464.jpg

nah...I flew mine on H-165''s just follow instruction and use CA..I built several, even flew Astro on 38mm J's with just CA..I would rather have a fin pop off from hard landing and just re-glue..than break it from epoxy bond.

I use the mesh [stainless Chor Boys u can buy at grocery store...pot scrubbers to replace] but I do use a tracker on shock cord or u will never find.G's go out of sight.

Edit: should mention use "thick"as some call it "gel" CA as per instructions.

Last edited:
^^^ What Jim just said!!! ^^^

I have an Arreaux that has a few dozen flights on it, that is held together with "medium" CA. I did remove the mesh in favor of the more traditional nomex. used a piece of kevlar glued to the MMT as an anchor, other than that she is stock. Really cant ask for a more versitle mid-power rocket. can fly on an E at a small field, or let her rip on the largest motor you feel comfortable with. The G72 sparky and G53 fast black are fun, and is the G138. that G138... really really like that motor.

37D809A6-127B-4E93-9D59-85C53A2C2195.png

D62A6095-3133-407E-A0F4-8C53F93046C2.png

Thanks all for your replies. it's helped me think things through. The Arreaux is ordered and on its' way. Yesssss!

Honestly you can't go wrong with AT kits. Reasonably priced, reliable and easy to put together w/ minimum amount of tools and supplies. I had a Cheetah and that thing boosted like crazy! Straight up and perfect chute. When I build them I do so stock. I might change out the chute depending on the conditions, but for the most part I build "as is" The only gripe I might have is with the smaller 1.9 kits a 16" seems pretty small. I think an 18" is more suitable. Chutes are pretty nice and easy to pack. Heck now I might want to buy this kit. Never built it...is it DD?

I would leave out the mesh completely, and use nomex blanket for the chute.

If you want to use the mesh, there would still be enough room. I believe the case is less than 8 inches long, leaving 4 inches for mesh. You could also use a bit less.

Suggest JB weld or epoxy for the build since it uses a lot of plastic, aluminum and aerofiber parts.

View attachment 452365
Thin CA is all you need. All the parts snap together so there's really no reason for JB Weld except for the retainer. Build lite and fly high. More engine choices too. Just sayin

Hi all,
Cheers

Build it stock. This rocket was designed to boost high and by using extra weight it doesn't help. You do NOT need internal fillets. The fins have tabs that are through the wall construction, but they snap into what AT calls a "FIN LOK" system so all you need is a small amount of thin CA where they attach. I would only suggest using JB Weld when assembling the motor retainer. If you want you can use a medium CA and if you're in a hurry to build it get an accelerator to kick it off. I built a lot of these kits so I know what works. You also don't need to change the shock cord. The stock cord works fine and don't bother using a Nomex blanket. If you plan on making plans to change this rocket don't waste your time buying it then, You might as well build something from scratch.

I built a lot of these kits so I know what works. You also don't need to change the shock cord.

Heck now I might want to buy this kit. Never built it...is it DD?

Short memory?

Thin CA is all you need. All the parts snap together so there's really no reason for JB Weld except for the retainer. Build lite and fly high. More engine choices too. Just sayin

5 grams of epoxy to assemble a rocket this size is not going to make a difference in flight. Personally I would never use 'thin CA' for assembly. The instructions (written in 2004) call for medium viscosity CA .If you are going that route, use the correct one.

My Last one I flew was at the last NSL AT Geneseo upstate NY at the HAG Airfield; It was on an AeroTech DMS H-135 ; BigBee RDF tracker installed :)

Build it stock. This rocket was designed to boost high and by using extra weight it doesn't help. You do NOT need internal fillets. The fins have tabs that are through the wall construction, but they snap into what AT calls a "FIN LOK" system so all you need is a small amount of thin CA where they attach. I would only suggest using JB Weld when assembling the motor retainer. If you want you can use a medium CA and if you're in a hurry to build it get an accelerator to kick it off. I built a lot of these kits so I know what works. You also don't need to change the shock cord. The stock cord works fine and don't bother using a Nomex blanket. If you plan on making plans to change this rocket don't waste your time buying it then, You might as well build something from scratch.
Yup. I use only medium CA on these kits, and they’re solid. Never had a joint failure, even with far larger motors than recommended.

Back