Army SPEAR Team shot.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

CTI

Reaction score
Gary Rosenfield from Aerotech just sent this to me.

https://fb.watch/6cYqEYfSg6/

“From what I understand, the Army SPEAR team reached 84 km (275,520 feet) according to inertial data using commercial high power motors: An AeroTech O5280X DMS in the booster and a CTI M2245 in the sustainer. Actual altitude may have been well over 300,000 feet, reaching and exceeding the Karman line. As far as I know this is a record with commercial certified high power motors.”

That’s pretty slick.

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO
Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace
http://www.cesaronitech.com/
(941) 360-3100 x1004 Sarasota
(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

FredA

Reaction score
Nice, but not straight up - was that a launch requirement?

MClark

Reaction score
If the video on the linked page is the 84 km launch it is pretty far off vertical.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Good we are still pushing the envelope.

jderimig

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Nice, but not straight up - was that a launch requirement?
If it was at WSMR they will allow ballistic return of the booster, maybe if that is opted for a launch angle may be required. I do not. John Demar would know.

3stoogesrocketry

Reaction score
If it was at WSMR they will allow ballistic return of the booster, maybe if that is opted for a launch angle may be required. I do not. John Demar would know.

Judging by the sever tip off the rail in the smoke trail , that was not intended.

Chad

Reaction score
man, given the acceleration, i can't believe it didn't buckle correcting that wobble off the pad. the picture of the airframe implies the minimalist of minimal build hah.

amazing stuff

UhClem

Reaction score
Princeton Spaceshot used the same motors a couple of years ago. I can't turn up a final report with an altitude though.

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If the video on the linked page is the 84 km launch it is pretty far off vertical.
It's hard to tell because the videographer didn't do all that great a job, but that angle was at least 30 degrees off vertical. That translates to 317,000 feet if launched vertical (minimum).

mikec

Reaction score
Princeton Spaceshot used the same motors a couple of years ago. I can't turn up a final report with an altitude though.
Which seems strange, given that they claimed that had exceeded the Karmen line on their Facebook page. But I didn't see a scrap of post-flight documentation on their website.

FredA

Reaction score
But what glue -- we need another epoxy thread, don't we????

jsdemar

Reaction score
This was a West Point cadet project. It would have gone higher if it hadn't tipped off the rail. Something around 4-5 degrees was required. No booster recovery, as planned. Ignition was likely done using my BKNO3-V... they bought a bunch of ProCast kits from Quickburst.