Arming Switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenman

Reaction score
Hey there. I have a 4" diameter HPR and I want to ask a question regarding placement of the switches (I use screwdriver actuated high G-load switches) inside of the AvBay. Do you tend to mount these switches on the outer diameter inside of the AvBay, flush with the tubing? I designed my avBay so that the switches are attached to the board, but are close enough to be able to be armed on the pad with a long screwdriver (through the pressure port hole). I am not sure if I like this idea and im not sure how practical this is. Any opinions/ ideas/ pictures or generally helpful advice is much appreciated. Thanks all. Trenman

I use a rocker switch through the vent hole. It's a little easier to do then a screw switch - you can just use a long finishing nail and push...

Trenman,

The arming switch and its operation can be done a ton of different ways. I have done what you describe, accessing the switches through sampling ports. I've also had slide switches mounted on the airframe. I've had flip switches inside the nosecone. My L3 rocket will have key switches on the altimeter band. So in short there is no right answer. Just opt for easy access, and more importantly, make sure the switch and its operation is reliable.

-Tim

Most of mine are set up with the switch on the board and actuate it through the port with a screwdriver. On a bright sunny day you have to kind of feel your way to it.

I like the fact that the switch is always with the altimeter and doesn't have be dis/connected each flight.

I have standardized ebays so that any board will fit any rocket and the switch can be activated through the port. All switches are turned on/off in the same direction.

I have not tried the rotary switches. I use the switch harnesses made for R/C aircraft. These have redundant contacts and have proven their reliability over the years.

This certainly isn't the only way to do it but it works for me.

My 2 cents.

I prefer screw switches (like aerocon type) and I usually mount them on a small peace of finished wood with the standoffs just like the Altacc remote arming panel.

I have had very bad luck with key type switches, I lost a large complex cluster because of them. So, I go back to what I know works well.

Last edited:
Most of mine are set up with the switch on the board and actuate it through the port with a screwdriver. On a bright sunny day you have to kind of feel your way to it.

I like the fact that the switch is always with the altimeter and doesn't have be dis/connected each flight.

I have standardized ebays so that any board will fit any rocket and the switch can be activated through the port. All switches are turned on/off in the same direction.

I have not tried the rotary switches. I use the switch harnesses made for R/C aircraft. These have redundant contacts and have proven their reliability over the years.

This certainly isn't the only way to do it but it works for me.

My 2 cents.

You could mount a short section of tube that would direct the screw driver to the switch. If you use your sleds in different diameter E Bays make the tubing mount so you can change to different lenghts for each bay.
The small PC board switches Aerocon sells make it easy to do this.

Back