ARLISS/XPRS 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherokeej

Reaction score
No one else put it up...

ARLISS 2016 starts on Monday, Sept 12, at 0900. Runs thru Thursday. XPRS is Friday thru Sunday, the 16th to the 18th. I understand there will be a high altitude window on Saturday, the 17th. There are several six digit projects on the docket. Let's see how many can get off the rail during the limited high altitude window.

Should be an interesting launch! My understanding is that there is also a high altitude window on Sunday morning as well....hopefully that relieves a bit of the strain on the need to fly all the altitude seekers in a single 2 hour window.:)

Know of any planned onsite general rocketry vendors for XPRS?

-Eric-

Bay Area Rocketry is the vendor for XPRS, I don't know when he gets there so I'm not sure if he's set up for ARLISS as well. There are also typically stands for Aerotech, Big Red Bee and Fruity Chutes. No food vendors.

This will be my 5th XPRS, looking forward to it! My Dad and I will be in the 25' Cruise America RV parked behind the 30' Cruise America RV (which will probably have a dirt bike or two around it), we're usually towards the western end of the flight line. Feel free to stop by and say hi!

EDIT: It's worth saying, be sure to check out the XPRS website, especially if you've never been to Black Rock Desert before, the "About Black Rock" page has a lot of good info. It's an amazing place to fly from but it can be pretty harsh also. The actual launch site is ~1.7 mi farther NE than years past due to new FAA guidance (though other events on the playa this year have also been in this new spot I believe, this will be my first time on the playa this year so I'm taking note of the newer directions.

And I'll also note that at least for me Waze has never worked to get to the playa. Most times it simply says you can't get to Gerlach, NV from San Jose. I see this time it's suggesting a route, but it's definitely not a good route (more than an hour longer than it should be). There seems to be something wrong with NV-447 in Waze where it can get me to Nixon but not Empire or Gerlach even though they're just driving farther up NV-447. So I just tell Waze to navigate me to Nixon and just continue north on NV-447 from there. Amusingly, this is post #447 for me! :)

Last edited:
I'll be there with a good bunch of cool stuff.
Provided Friday evening is still and nice, i'll send up my 5" on an M2500T, followed by an M750W in a minimum diameter the next morning lifting multiple 1080 cameras. (Remember that coupler you made me, James? :) ) We have a K805G to burn and an i600 as well.

So youll be there, right afroman? My lil cousin is coming out with a 4"er he built for some Gs and i might fly him on an H too. He enjoys your LCO work, but who doesnt? :D

Ill post again with some pics on wednesday once i get everything all buttoned up.

See yall in the dust

What a fantastic weekend!
20160917_155542_29672886751_o.jpg
Tapioca Joe launched on an AT N2000 and then air started 4 AT J350's.
85lb rocket to just under 15,000 feet.

Back