Ariane Rocket Failure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
In text scroll: "The launcher trajectory is temporarily deviated..." Temporarily? Watch the trajectory plot.

I suppose we could make jokes about a French rocket surrendering to gravity. This is a good reminder that space and rockets are HARD and we should never take success for granted. A million things have to go right for a successful launch but only one has to go wrong.

I thought it was interesting that all of the 'talking heads' seemed to be in denial while the trajectory plot shows bad things happening. I've often thought that such coverage is based on what they were told would happen as opposed to the actual occurences.

Jim

Translations of modern euphemisms:
Temporarily deviated = Way off course
Anomaly = Explosion
Pre owned = Used
Nominal = Nothing to see here, move on.
:D

Not what I would call an effective media stream. The announcer had no idea that the flight had gone awry or anything mentioned about actual events till minutes after they had happened. Not a 21st century media stream at all. Even the animation was continuing blissfully along. I thought that was based on actual telemetry, but looks like I am wrong on that.

Looked to me like the second stage never ignited. There was nothing from the video to show second stage ignition and the data showed that the rocket failed to accelerate, increase velocity or gain altitude after staging.

Looked to me like the second stage never ignited. There was nothing from the video to show second stage ignition and the data showed that the rocket failed to accelerate, increase velocity or gain altitude after staging.
+1. Announcer is saying ignition of the second stage one second after separation but there is no plume (around the 2:13 mark). Then the plot starts going south.

Yeah, on live events like this, the announcers are often reading a script rather than analyzing real-time data. And the video animations are often what's expected, not live CGI.

Next time maybe they need to add some more black powder on top of the first stage booster motor...... :)

Back