Ariane 5 Model Rocket - Anybody Built One Or Have Scale data?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
The launch of the Janes Webb Space Telescope this morning has me wondering if anybody has built a scale model of the Ariane 5 rocket?

I could scale one up using a photo, or photo's, imported into CAD... but would prefer to build one based on actual dimensional data, if it's available.

This article has some excellent cut away drawings. I'll post them below for posterity.

This would make an awesome 3 motor rocket, with maybe a D motor in the center, with B motors on the side.

Ariane_5_liftoff_on_flight_VA233-34.jpg

Ariane 5.jpg Ariane 5 001.jpg Ariane 5 002.jpg Ariane 5 003.jpg

Attachments

• Ariane 5 Webb Telescope Launch Data.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I would get the drop off boosters that Apogee sells and replace the nose cones with the obliques.
The obliques have to be modified with a slot carefully cut into the soft plastic.
Maybe stiffen the obliques with foam.
Strap-on Booster Pods (apogeerockets.com)
This system works very well on the Apogee Flying Machine.
I have the parts bagged for an Ariane V with drop off boosters but won't be getting to it for a while.
In the meantime:
1228210958[1].jpg1228211000[1].jpg1228211001[1].jpg

Happy building!

Depending on how big you want to make the rocket there is a 1/96 paper model cardstock plan you can use for the model. Check out amxpaperspacemodels for models of the Ariane. The wrap for the main tube fits a BT 70.

Last edited:
Here's a BT-188 based Open Rocket simulation.

In place of the SRB's this design uses hollow tube fins for stabilization.

It utilizes a single D12 or E30, reset into the body, utilizing Gas Dynamic Stabilization cut outs.

For display purposes the SRB flat fin nose cones could be swapped out for actual nose cones, and the GDS nozzle removed and replaced with a smaller exhaust cone.

2022-01-07 Ariane 5 Tube Fin GDS.png

Here's a BT-188 based Open Rocket simulation.

In place of the SRB's this design uses hollow tube fins for stabilization.

It utilizes a single D12 or E30, reset into the body, utilizing Gas Dynamic Stabilization cut outs.

For display purposes the SRB flat fin nose cones could be swapped out for actual nose cones, and the GDS nozzle removed and replaced with a smaller exhaust cone.

View attachment 498697
Stability looks low on this model but then I’m not familiar with GDS. You’ve got me thinking on trying this one also but I’ll be designing one along the lines of the Titan IIIC with inserted fin tubes in the SRBs and a single engine mount in the main frame using BT70. I’ve got a strong Christmas gift wrap tube that is the perfect size for the SRBs. I’ve built two Titans recently but this model has the SRBs offset a distance from the main frame so that will be a challenge to connect them all together. Good luck on your build

Back