Argonia Cup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
As of about 4:00 pm, the SWOSU group had landed their drone less than 600 feet from the target (and main rocket exceeded 8K feet). Best ever for the Cup. They're hoping to get one more flight in before close.

Got a text with few details, but it looks like Oklahoma State Univ. came in first. SWOSU came in second. More when I get it.

Hmm. Would have been nice to see another name on the Cup. Had my fingers crossed for SWOSU.

My son is already prepping his pitch to form a team for the University of Tulsa for next year.....

Hmm. Would have been nice to see another name on the Cup. Had my fingers crossed for SWOSU.

My son is already prepping his pitch to form a team for the University of Tulsa for next year.....

I hope he can get a team started. There are some minimum requirements, like having some members of your team Tripoli certified, plus the cost of the rocket and other equipment.

Just found out via email from one of the SWOSU folks that the OSU team, using (I believe) an autonomous glider landed 368 feet from the target. OSU has won several of the Cups in the past, and has slowly been improving their glider. Congrats again to all the teams that competed! (Bulldogs Rock!)

One more thing... I want to thank the Kloudbusters for holding the event, and the sponsors for pitching in.

Sponsors include:
Altus Metrum
Computer Training Syatems
LOC Precision
Chris' Rocketry Supplies (he got a lot of my money!)
Kansas City National Security Campus (Honeywell)
Wildman Rocketry
Top Flight Recovery

If I left someone off it is not on purpose, it's because I'm an idiot

The SWOSU team came in second place in last month's Argonia Cup. They weren't satisfied and knew they could do better. Sunday they took their rocket and unused L reload to the Tripoli launch at Sare, OK. They put the rocket to over 10K. The drone was released at about 800 feet, was oriented right side up, and flew the golfball directly to the observers. I REALLY hope they compete next year! These fine folk have demonstrated that smart people using common technology, are superior to common people using smart technology. I have the video (about a minute and a half) but no way to post it.

Last edited:
The SWOSU team came in second place in last month's Argonia Cup. They weren't satisfied and knew they could do better. Sunday they took their rocket and unused L reload to the Tripoli launch at Sare, OK. They put the rocket to over 10K. The drone was released at about 800 feet, was oriented right side up, and flew the golfball directly to the observers. I REALLY hope they compete next year! These fine folk have demonstrated that smart people using common technology, are superior to common people using smart technology. I have the video (about a minute and a half) but no way to post it.

Email it to me if you can, I’ll get it posted for you! [email protected]

The original video is a tad over 1MB in .avi form (3 minutes). I edited the video dowd to about 350KB (minute and a half) in .mp4. Both are too big for google mail. Maybe I can post it to my google drive.

Goo
The original video is a tad over 1MB in .avi form (3 minutes). I edited the video dowd to about 350KB (minute and a half) in .mp4. Both are too big for google mail. Maybe I can post it to my google drive.
Google Drive should work. I upload video for our weekly online church services that way and my file size is regularly around 3GB.

I knew the SWOSU had the chops to solve this challenge. I sure wish they had been able to make another flight. They were so close to bringing home the Cup!

Back