Ares V Block II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlantis

Reaction score
This is a follow on to the Ares V I crashed last week. It is heavily modified from a free paper kit by Ton Noteboom, downsized to 1:192 scale. The wraps are from the Dr. Zooch Box-O-stuff. The C6-3 on the last flight seemed a bit weak though, I either may make it so that I can put engines in the SRB's like on the last Ares V, cluster an 18mm with 2 or 3 13mms (most like A10-Pt's) , or both.
Progress as of now:

P1010133.jpg

A very crude interpretations of possible engine configurations:
ECAV.jpg

Last edited:
That's gonna be one sweet rocket. I've thought about building one based on the BT-101. Cygnus has some 4 inch mmt's with a central 24mm and 4 18mm around it. You mention a free paper model; Can you provide a link or url to it? Ted

That's gonna be one sweet rocket. I've thought about building one based on the BT-101. Cygnus has some 4 inch mmt's with a central 24mm and 4 18mm around it. You mention a free paper model; Can you provide a link or url to it? Ted

Here's the link:https://www.jleslie48.com/gallery_models_real.html

This site has several great models for conversion.
I had to modify since it was designed in the older Ares V configuration from befotre June 2008

Thanks for the link! There are enough paper models there to keep a builder busy for a long time. I'd like to see more of your build so please keep posting. Ted

It's almost ready to go, all I need to do is install the retention hook and glue everything together. The aft section of the SRB's detach past the yellow section. For flight, those will be removed and ones with balsa wood fins will be installed.
P1010135.jpg

Last edited:
Aside from the flight fins,it's done.
Overall shot:
P1010137.jpg

dramatic up-angle:
P1010138.jpg

In the rocket park at the Space and Rocket Center (night shot)
USSRA5.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't realize they had an Ares V there. That is so cool-looking next to the Saturn V!

That's actually my model photoshopped into the picture (in case you didn't know). But still, it does look cool.

Nice photoshop, I cant even tell by the pixels. So is it to scale? :p

The Dr. Zooch Ares V just did the extra test I assigned to it prior to going into kit productions (I wanna have it out for NARAM). The final test was to see how stable it would fly without nose ballast. Flew at this weekend's MDRA launch on a C6-3 and really grabbed some sky- very stable. The production model will be the first Dr. Zooch kit without a nose ballast.

The Dr. Zooch Ares V just did the extra test I assigned to it prior to going into kit productions (I wanna have it out for NARAM). The final test was to see how stable it would fly without nose ballast. Flew at this weekend's MDRA launch on a C6-3 and really grabbed some sky- very stable. The production model will be the first Dr. Zooch kit without a nose ballast.

Cool... looking forward to that one...

Just when I thought it was safe to finish an order... :D

Good work on these guys... Probably end up being the ONLY Ares V's to actually fly... but that's another story...

Later and KUTGW!! OL JR :)

Back