AreoTech Initiator began and ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWalks

Reaction score
Yesterday I began dry fitting everything together for my Initiator. First I want to say how impressed I am with this kit and how all the parts go together. In a thread a while back I read someone saying you could almost fly it without glue and after fitting it together I could believe it. During the dry fit the only thing I struggled with is the fin lok rings ... they are really a tight fit.

During the dry fit and the re-reading 3 times the instruction sheet, I did end up with a question:

The forward end of the motor tube calls for 4 slots, 90degrees apart, 1/4" long. This area then goes over the ejection gas baffle and is glued ... does anyone know why the slits?

It allows for the plastic baffle cap to fit easier, as well as provides a better glue adhesion so it doesn't seperate at deployment. I love the initiator:)

The CR on mine are a bit loose, and the fin locks were very easy to get on. Without sanding. I'm probably going to go work on it now. The slits are so the tube can expand so it will go in.

DPatell and Blue_Ninja thanks: Mine fits in pretty easy but I will go ahead and make the cuts.

My CR's fit really easy ... the the ejection gas baffle also went in pretty easy but I had expanded the end a little before fitting. The fin slots were snug but not overly tight so all went together well. The nose cone had a double ridge with a couple deep grooves molded in, so had to sand it pretty good. The base of the NC was larger than the od of the body tube so I sanded it down some so the sizes are about equal depending on how you turn it.

Now I just need to figure out the best paint that is compatible with the high impact polystyrene. Been reading where a lot of people are having problems with the paint not sticking well.

I love the initiator ... have the feeling I will feel the same about the Mustang also.

Just went and built the thrust ring. whoopee. If you'll notice the last line of my sig, here's why:

Went to take off the cap to the CA, started coughing. Applied to the thrust ring. It soaked down the cardboard, nearly touching the nice kitchen counter. Took it into the hobby room, where I set it down on the table and the flange instantly adhered. took a bit of work. When it came off, it seperated from the cardboard. Guess what! More CAing! Applied some more, then put a tip on the bottle and started putting a bead on teh cardboard/flange joint. Ca went thru the back of the tip, soaking the nozzle. Took the tip off, when I noticed some cured CA on my hands. No biggie. All CAing done... Or is it? Closed my hand, opened it, and every finger came apart except my index and thumb. Took a little pulling and 15 minutes of rinsing to get it off. I hate CA.

Originally posted by TwoWalks
The forward end of the motor tube calls for 4 slots, 90degrees apart, 1/4" long. This area then goes over the ejection gas baffle and is glued ... does anyone know why the slits?

Two reasons I could think of. One, to allow the baffle to fit into the tube easier. Two, to allow the CA to soak into the slits, making a stronger bond to hold the baffle in place.

TwoWalks,
The Initiator is a great kit. It was my first midpowered rocket, and the first I had built since getting back into rocketry. I did a piss poor job on the paint. Anyway, I have sanded the nose cones and then cleaned them well with alcohol, or mild detergent water and dry real well. I prime with an automotive lacquer primer and paint. I've had good luck with this on most of my plastic nosecones........Larry

Took a little pulling and 15 minutes of rinsing to get it off.

yup! one word: acetone. three words: nail polish remover.

ask me how I know this trick. hope that helps next time.

Steps for using CA.

1. open can of Acetone and prepare for use.
2. open tube of Ca.

:D

the only thing I have ever managed to glue using CA is my fingers. Sure hope I do better with this kit ... thinking Epoxie

Yes... I can't decide between epoxy andCA. On the Mustang, I used epoxy for the thrust ring and it held. CA has a lower viscosity so it won't hold 2 things instantly except skin:p.

Went to take off the cap to the CA, started coughing. Applied to the thrust ring. It soaked down the cardboard, nearly touching the nice kitchen counter. Took it into the hobby room, where I set it down on the table and the flange instantly adhered. took a bit of work. When it came off, it seperated from the cardboard. Guess what! More CAing! Applied some more, then put a tip on the bottle and started putting a bead on teh cardboard/flange joint. Ca went thru the back of the tip, soaking the nozzle. Took the tip off, when I noticed some cured CA on my hands. No biggie. All CAing done... Or is it? Closed my hand, opened it, and every finger came apart except my index and thumb. Took a little pulling and 15 minutes of rinsing to get it off. I hate CA.

Ha, know the feeling, unfortunatly though superglue is a necessary evil, I still cringe at the thought of using a tube of the stuff that's already been opened, like trying to run dried concrete through a garden hose.

I just watched ATs video assembly of the initiator kit, that thing practically puts itself together, notice that the video instructor convieniantly avoids the fin fillets though, he did make reference to them however, and implied that he would use CA for the fillets...I was waiting for him to try and smooth a CA fillet with his finger... that alone would have been worth the price of admission!:D

I found a wonderful solution to the CA glue problem. I went to Lowes and bought a container of Loc Tight CA. It comes with a little brush applicator. I have had great success with this. For the two or three bucks it costs you might find it makes your life easier.

CA actually did its job perfectly when it glued your fingers together. It was developed for wound closure during the vietnam war. I have an ER doc friend that uses all the time. Its legal in the operating room in Europe. Just a little tidbit.

Originally posted by blinder
I found a wonderful solution to the CA glue problem. I went to Lowes and bought a container of Loc Tight CA. It comes with a little brush applicator. I have had great success with this. For the two or three bucks it costs you might find it makes your life easier.

I was looking at the loc tight CA the other day ... any idea about how long it gives you to work with it?

Back