Areolab and wRASP32

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used these two together? What type of results did you get?

I put my scratch build L2 rocket in Aerolab to generate the Cd profile data file. I used that in wRASP32 to sim the rocket on the R695R I flew it on. When using the 8lb/128oz weight, it was less then 4 feet off of actual altitude. When I put the actual 7lb 9oz/121 weight in, it over estimated by 163 feet. Thought that was pretty good.

Last edited:
I have used both together. A couple of things to note about Aerolab. When it generates the Cd data it only generates a total of 100 data points for the specified range of velocities (by default that is mach 3 IIRC). So if you don't ever plan on flying to mach 3, then limit the velocity to something more reasonable to get better Cd resolution. I have typically found that Aerolab version 1.2 gives me slightly better results than version 1.32 for the rockets I fly. I find the combination to be pretty effective for me although there are a few settings in Aerolab that I still don't quite understand.

I wasn't aware of the 100 data points, but I never looked at the data file. I usually set the max at Mach 1.5 or 2.0.

There are a few items in there I haven't dug into yet too.

Have you ever tried using v1.2? I guess there wouldn't be much reason for you to do so since you've had such good results with v1.3.2

I tried to find where I downloaded it but couldn't find it again. I could send it to you if you are interested. I have the original zip file. Just let me know...

Back