Arecibo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father worked on some of the systems there, I got to visit it a few times when I was around 8 or 9 years old. When I wasn't allowed to take the tram out to the center hanging over the dish, I was disappointed and failed to appreciate the rest of it.

Did anybody else participate in the SETI@home project and download the screensaver?
It used thousands of individual home PCs to analyze signals gathered from the Arecibo dish and sent them back for compilation.
I guess it never found ET since I didn't hear anything further.

Did anybody else participate in the SETI@home project and download the screensaver?
It used thousands of individual home PCs to analyze signals gathered from the Arecibo dish and sent them back for compilation...

There are many similar @home projects in various research areas and I remember trying out one of them. I think I was into proteins at the time (proteins@home or folding@home). A friend of mine worked on the einstein@home one to help detect gravitaional waves (black holes crashing into each other).

But in case you're looking for a straight answer, I have to say no.

It used thousands of individual home PCs to analyze signals gathered from the Arecibo dish and sent them back for compilation.
I was an active participant. Recently updated the desktop, and hadn't set it back up yet.

I was an active participant. Recently updated the desktop, and hadn't set it back up yet.
Are they still processing? I thought it was done.
I liked the idea of participating in a small way in something collective for a worthy cause.
Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
OK maybe not.

Last edited:
Here's a good video from Scott Manley about Arecibo. From what I can tell, there really isn't any way to save it safely. We can only hope that they rebuild it on the same site.

I ran SETI@home on my laptop for many years.

Just saw Scott Manley's video.
Apparently the Chinese dish can only receive radio signals, it cannot do radar mapping like the Arecibo dish.

For JWST very complex testing is needed of the individual systems and integrated systems too. As an example folding of the sunshade after testing was supposed to take one month. In actual fact it took three. The whole thing is big, cumbersome, complex and fragile, hence the delays.

Last edited:
There are many similar @home projects in various research areas and I remember trying out one of them. I think I was into proteins at the time (proteins@home or folding@home). A friend of mine worked on the einstein@home one to help detect gravitaional waves (black holes crashing into each other).

But in case you're looking for a straight answer, I have to say no.

Are they still processing? I thought it was done.
I liked the idea of participating in a small way in something collective for a worthy cause.
Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
OK maybe not.

Yep SETI@Home is still an active BOINC project, although I will not crunch it anymore (Stupid politics within BOINC). Crunching is a nerd term for processing the work units downloaded from BOINC projects. I am not nearly as active in BOINC these days. I used to run 6 desktops 24/7, each with an nVidia and ATI/AMD GPUs. At one point I also had a Butterfly Labs Monarch Bitcoin miner crunching the "Bitcoin Utopia" BOINC project.

I used to do Folding@home until I moved to Hawaii where the electricity is 4x. I would earn points that would give me huge discounts on EVGA GPUs.

https://foldingathome.org/
In 2010, my son moved into a dorm apartment with included AC. He would run a simple NVIDIA 9000 card which would heat up his room to 80F in the dead of winter.

I used to do Folding@home until I moved to Hawaii where the electricity is 4x. I would earn points that would give me huge discounts on EVGA GPUs.

https://foldingathome.org/
In 2010, my son moved into a dorm apartment with included AC. He would run a simple NVIDIA 9000 card which would heat up his room to 80F in the dead of winter.
In college somebody hotwired the heater for my floor to run constantly in order to keep their window open for smoking.

Predictably a 100% duty cycle burned it up, so I hung a blanket over my window, turned on all the lights and stereo, cracked open the fridge, and resumed playing video games on my PC.

One advantage of a small room is that it doesn't take much to heat it :-D

In college somebody hotwired the heater for my floor to run constantly in order to keep their window open for smoking.

Predictably a 100% duty cycle burned it up, so I hung a blanket over my window, turned on all the lights and stereo, cracked open the fridge, and resumed playing video games on my PC.

One advantage of a small room is that it doesn't take much to heat it :-D
I worked as an IT guy at a Tribal College and installed & set up servers. We started using IBM blades and I figured I could have heated my house during the winter with 2 of them.

Back