Quantcast

Arecibo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Man it had a good run though. Wonder if any plans would be made for a future large radio telescope or if this is the end of an era. Kurt

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Well if we're making a big radio dish, put it on the other side of the moon.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I always remember it from 'Contact'; I'd forgotten they blow it up in 'Goldeneye'. (Different dish, but 'The Dish' is one of my favorite movies.)

Wally Ferrer

SRE
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My father worked on some of the systems there, I got to visit it a few times when I was around 8 or 9 years old. When I wasn't allowed to take the tram out to the center hanging over the dish, I was disappointed and failed to appreciate the rest of it.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Did anybody else participate in the SETI@home project and download the screensaver?
It used thousands of individual home PCs to analyze signals gathered from the Arecibo dish and sent them back for compilation.
I guess it never found ET since I didn't hear anything further.

Funkworks

Reaction score
Did anybody else participate in the SETI@home project and download the screensaver?
It used thousands of individual home PCs to analyze signals gathered from the Arecibo dish and sent them back for compilation...
There are many similar @home projects in various research areas and I remember trying out one of them. I think I was into proteins at the time (proteins@home or folding@home). A friend of mine worked on the einstein@home one to help detect gravitaional waves (black holes crashing into each other).

But in case you're looking for a straight answer, I have to say no.

Wally Ferrer

SRE
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It used thousands of individual home PCs to analyze signals gathered from the Arecibo dish and sent them back for compilation.
I was an active participant. Recently updated the desktop, and hadn't set it back up yet.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was an active participant. Recently updated the desktop, and hadn't set it back up yet.
Are they still processing? I thought it was done.
I liked the idea of participating in a small way in something collective for a worthy cause.
Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
OK maybe not.

Last edited:

Wally Ferrer

SRE
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I liked the idea of participating in a small way in something collective for a worthy cause.
OK maybe not.
They're not handing out any new tasks, some backlog may still be churning through.

Neutron95

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a good video from Scott Manley about Arecibo. From what I can tell, there really isn't any way to save it safely. We can only hope that they rebuild it on the same site.

Simon Auty

Reaction score
Unlikely to be rebuilt for a variety of reasons (cost etc) from what I hear

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I ran SETI@home on my laptop for many years.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw Scott Manley's video.
Apparently the Chinese dish can only receive radio signals, it cannot do radar mapping like the Arecibo dish.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
There's also that ring in Russia, but it's significantly less capable.

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
They need to get the Webb operational first. Not radio but has been waiting in the warehouse for years. I suspect that most of the hesitation (other than the obvious) is fear of another Hubble mirror debacle.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For JWST very complex testing is needed of the individual systems and integrated systems too. As an example folding of the sunshade after testing was supposed to take one month. In actual fact it took three. The whole thing is big, cumbersome, complex and fragile, hence the delays.

Last edited:

Marc_G

Reaction score
I'm in mourning over this. Hard to believe there's no plan to rebuild, but the days of earth based observatories may be coming to an end.

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There are many similar @home projects in various research areas and I remember trying out one of them. I think I was into proteins at the time (proteins@home or folding@home). A friend of mine worked on the einstein@home one to help detect gravitaional waves (black holes crashing into each other).

But in case you're looking for a straight answer, I have to say no.
OK maybe not.
Yep SETI@Home is still an active BOINC project, although I will not crunch it anymore (Stupid politics within BOINC). Crunching is a nerd term for processing the work units downloaded from BOINC projects. I am not nearly as active in BOINC these days. I used to run 6 desktops 24/7, each with an nVidia and ATI/AMD GPUs. At one point I also had a Butterfly Labs Monarch Bitcoin miner crunching the "Bitcoin Utopia" BOINC project.

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I used to do Folding@home until I moved to Hawaii where the electricity is 4x. I would earn points that would give me huge discounts on EVGA GPUs.

In 2010, my son moved into a dorm apartment with included AC. He would run a simple NVIDIA 9000 card which would heat up his room to 80F in the dead of winter.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
I used to do Folding@home until I moved to Hawaii where the electricity is 4x. I would earn points that would give me huge discounts on EVGA GPUs.

In 2010, my son moved into a dorm apartment with included AC. He would run a simple NVIDIA 9000 card which would heat up his room to 80F in the dead of winter.
In college somebody hotwired the heater for my floor to run constantly in order to keep their window open for smoking.

Predictably a 100% duty cycle burned it up, so I hung a blanket over my window, turned on all the lights and stereo, cracked open the fridge, and resumed playing video games on my PC.

One advantage of a small room is that it doesn't take much to heat it :-D

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In college somebody hotwired the heater for my floor to run constantly in order to keep their window open for smoking.

Predictably a 100% duty cycle burned it up, so I hung a blanket over my window, turned on all the lights and stereo, cracked open the fridge, and resumed playing video games on my PC.

One advantage of a small room is that it doesn't take much to heat it :-D
I worked as an IT guy at a Tribal College and installed & set up servers. We started using IBM blades and I figured I could have heated my house during the winter with 2 of them.