Are you in Australia? Wanna do me a favor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a tent from an Australian maker (Mont). I can't find any online retailer that will ship to the USA (and that has what I want in stock).

Would someone be willing to have me buy and ship it to you in Australia, then you could ship it to me in the States? I'd pay for the US shipping too of course. Basically all you would do is be an Australian address that the retailer would ship to, then you'd re-label the package and send it to me in the U.S.

Just looking at options right now, and seeing if this is even feasible.

Mont themselves DO ship to the US, but they don't have the model I want in stock. I've found a few retailers that have it in stock (in theory at least), but they won't ship to the U.S. grrrrrrrrr.

thanks for considering,
s6

Hey man, at the bottom of this link, there's selection on international delivery. It's a 30.00 fee. No middle man on that note. Damn those are expensive! Which one were you looking at?
https://www.mont.com.au/tents-and-shelters/tents

It's a little complicated.
The tent I want is the Moondance 2.
However, the current model (which is what they have) has a couple of small details that I prefer how they did it on the previous version. Also, the new color is just awful (bright yellow), which in a tent that I would be spending a fair bit of time in as my "home" I just can't deal with. The previous version was a (really great) beige/rust/tan color. What I want really is that previous version.
BUT......they DO sell what looks to be the previous version (correct details and color) as separate pieces; meaning I could in theory buy the inner tent, and the fly, and the poleset, as separate pieces. Which would be fine with me. However, the website shows that they are out of stock on the inner tent itself.
BUT......there do seem to be some other Australian retailers that either have the older version for sale as a complete tent package, or at least just that inner tent. However, they don't won't ship to the U.S.
Hence my looking for "another way".

Yes, these tents are quite pricey. But this would be for some long-distance bike touring. I'm pretty particular about my gear in these uses. I've spent a LOT of time and energy looking for "just the right thing", and unfortunately for me (in terms of cost), this tent is far and away at the top of the list. All the other options on my whittled down list of possibilities have too many compromises for me. Gear like this for me will serve many years (I have some gear that I've used pretty heavily for more than two decades), so in the long run spending a couple hundred bucks more than I'd like to is not really all that much of a big deal. Now, if I could find a killer deal on one of these, I'd be really happy.

s6

Thanks folks.
I'm currently seeing if I can find a retailer that is willing to work something out. I've got at least one so far that is a "maybe". If I can firm them up, I'll pm one or some of you to see if the actual details can work for one of you (with a minimum of inconvenience to you).

Stay tuned.

s6

So, an update.
The gist of which is.....it looks like I've got this worked out, and won't need to take any of you up on your generous offers to help.

After a fair bit of emailing back and forth, Mont themselves and a retailer in Alice Springs (Lone Dingo) worked together and not only came up with exactly the package I was looking for, but sold it to me at a great sale price, agreed to ship to the U.S., and also gave me a very reasonable shipping charge. Add to that the fact that the exchange rate that happened to come up when I hit the "pay" button was a LOT better than the supposedly current one I got online, and I'm pretty happy. Both Mont and Lone Dingo gave me great customer service.

Now all I've got to do is cross my fingers that the shipping will go smoothly, and wait for it to arrive. Luckily I'm in no rush, but I obviously won't feel "done" until I have it in my hands.

Thank you again to the folks here who offered to "fence these goods" and engage in my nefarious international trade scheme. It is appreciated.
s6

Back