Are you an AM Radio Junkie?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I have got a radio for you! I admit, I am a bit of a AM Radio Junkie. If you are, this is one of the best radios for your shop. Spending long hours in the basement might result in some pretty strange designs! Luckily, this radio keeps me company! Trust me, it's worth every penny.

Ok, I fixed the link, now try it.

CC Radio

When I click the link, it tries to get me to start a new thread for some reason. But it sounds like you made a radio out of either the CC Express, one of the favorite rockets in my fleet, or a can of CC Lemon, finest soft drink on Earth.

I am an AM radio junkie, but not by choice. My car radio is AM only. There are two english-language AM music stations in Vancouver: CISL 650, the oldies station, and Unforgettable 600, the oldier station. Everything else is multicultural/ethnic, religion, or talk. I'd give my windshield washer fluid bag for a classic rock station on AM. And the radio bay is non-standard (it's smaller), so I can't just swap in a $99 AM/FM/tape deck.

John,

I only listen to AM stations. The higher the fidelity the lower the content in my book.

Thanks,

Greg

When I click on the link it tells me I need to log on, wich of course I allready am. Whats "AM"?

Listen to 850AM "The Buzz" when a I can't watch a Duke basketball game. Even when I can watch the game, I turn the TV sound off and turn on "The Buzz" and listen to the radio. It's a lot better than having to listen to Billy Packer! :p I too, have given up on FM. Nowadays, I listen to the Buzz, or a CD.

I bought a GE Superadio a few years ago from K-Mart. It has excellent AM reception. I can pick up WWL out of New Orleans during thr day. It has a switch on it for long range AM. If not in local stores, it can be found on the web for <$40.00. Don't pay any more than $40.00 for this radio. Radio Shack may have a version of this, as well. :)

sometimes listen to 650 WSM home of the grand ol opry..

Originally posted by Darian Rachal
I bought a GE Superadio a few years ago from K-Mart. It has excellent AM reception. I can pick up WWL out of New Orleans during thr day. It has a switch on it for long range AM. If not in local stores, it can be found on the web for <$40.00. Don't pay any more than $40.00 for this radio. Radio Shack may have a version of this, as well. :)

Been there done that. It's not the same and you can get them cheaper on Ebay, but they are far better than anything RS has to offer.

Checked out the CC radio site. That does look like a really nice radio & you say it's AM reception is far better than the Superadio? The other features are nice, but the AM reception being significantly better, would be the big selling point with me.

I still listen to the local AM station while working in my shop...they are hillarious sometimes. I will have to look at that radio more closely.

Carl

It depends greatly. Generally speaking, nearly all radio stations suck about 90% of the time. In baseball season, almost always AM. Sunday at 6 pm, it's FM because that's when our PBS station broadcasts "Car Talk".

I listen to 680 WRKO sometimes

www.wrko.org .... I think

When I want to listen to music though....classic rock all the way 100.7 WZLX

I commute 60+ miles each way for work, and I am a definite AM junkie.

I have a basement shop, and the reception is pretty poor, so I went with a 13" color TV on cable ...

My wife and I were at Long's Drug in January, and I saw the TV for $39.95. I jokingly told her to get that for me for Valentine's Day ... She did!

Wow, AM talk radio in the car, and Fox News in the shop. Life is good!

I have a laundry sink in my shop. (Highly recommended for cleanup, wet sanding rockets, etc.) The bathroom is just outide the shop door. All I need now is a refrigerator, and I can live in there come retirement.
:)

Nope, I've discovered XM and I'll never look back. (Except for Red's games.)

I love AM, here in Colorado we have AM 850 KOA the Blowtorch with 50,000 watts of power. My Dad's truck drivers comment that at night on the east coast they can pick up 850 KOA from Colorado.

Edward

Back