Are wrist watches history ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackleaf99

You can choose your behavior, not your emotions.
Reaction score
These days everyone seems to have a cell phone, smart phone or other portable electronic device. Every device I have ever seen has a prominent time clock on the display. This makes the local time immediately available and presented anytime we glance at that display.

I find myself rarely wearing my watch anymore because it is no longer needed. Why do I need it when an accurate clock, calendar, organizer, event timer, phone, calculator, internet access, camera, GPS, etc. etc. are all integrated into one unit ?

So the topical question, are the days of wrist watches (or pocket watches) limited ?

Nope, I'm wearing a watch again. Pebble makes a product that is, first & foremost, a decent watch that can last all week.

It also keeps me from having to pull my phone out nearly as much.

For many watches are fashion, not for knowing what time it is. I still covet getting a Breitling someday.....

Have a dozen or so Seiko Solar and Citizen Eco-Drive watches as I hate changing batteries. I always wear a watch at work or business meetings as the impression given is a more complete, prepared look.

I like my watch, easier for a quick glance than pulling my phone out, and as a fashion piece. Not sure I'd spend thousands and thousands on a real high-end piece, but I like wearing a good-looking watch.

This is a timely post--no pun intended--I just bought a new watch yesterday. I tried to go the route of using my phone. Frankly, it's a pain to pull it out of my pocket to check the time. While that may sound ridiculous to some, It's simply a mater of wasted motion. I wear my watch on my left wrist--I'm right handed--and I wear it under my wrist as opposed to on top. Believe it or not,the underside of your wrist is turned toward you about 80% of the time and your non-dominate hand is the first one you-- notice-- at any given time while doing daily routines. I won't spend a ton of money on a watch. It's a tool. When you start getting into the bucks, your just talking about jewelry.

I hope to someday buy me a quality mechanical wound watch or a self winding one, for some reason any timex type battery powered watch I wear is dead in less than a month, not just a dead battery but a dead watch!

Last edited:
I wear a fitness tracker now. I won't go back.

My 15 year old nephew wears one of those, it estimates your activity based on wrist movement. He jogs about 3 miles every day without leaving his bedroom.

Last edited:
Wrist watches are not only about practicality, but remain one of the only ways men have of accessorizing or expressing individuality. The need to do so is highly specific, so I wouldn't expect a consensus- specifically, those that are highly technical may not wear watches because they interfere with required tasks or are inaccurate for their needs, or are specifically prohibited from their environments (MRI, for example). Those in sales may prefer them because they send a specific message to the client (often the unintended one, if we think of the stereotypical gold Rolex). I find myself either in a suit or in jeans, depending on what I need to do, where I need to be, and with whom I need to meet, but my constant companions are several watches I've had for years that fit with all styles. I got the first from my grandfather, and the others I've added to as I'm able. What it means to me is the completion of an ensemble, and a presentation of carefully assembled attention. Men are afforded so few options to present this image anymore, that I personally shun any rubber accessories (like fitbits...I also know that things like that know too much!). I DO remove the watch if I'm doing time at a keyboard- the buckle does get in the way.

While traveling in Beijing and Shanghai, I was offered "Rolex" watches a couple of times. Yeah... Right... Real Rolex watches. My money and I stayed together.

Ha...after scrolling down and seeing and seeing an ad for a watch retailer.

Watches are timeless and, as analog or mechanical, as it gets. It is appreciated as milestones or accomplishments throughout ones life and can be generational. Also that market is not price capped either.

Many watches in my collection, each one has a memory attached to it or significance. Hard for me to look at the smart watches the same way.

So the topical question, are the days of wrist watches (or pocket watches) limited ?
For me, the issue has long been resolved. Do not wear a wristwatch and does not like to pin anything on мy body. I hate too-fashionable tattoos. I can not stand them. Before tattoos were only prisoners and sailors.

My 15 year old nephew wears one of those, it estimates your activity based on wrist movement. He jogs about 3 miles every day without leaving his bedroom.

HAHAHAH

Seriously, though, I like the idea of a watch as fashion but I can't be bothered. When my circa 1996 analog/digital combo watch died a few years ago, I planned to get a replacement, never found something I liked as much, then realized I'm surrounded by timepieces of one sort or another. No watch for me, anymore.

Marc

I haven't worn a watch in years; even before I had a cell phone. Clocks seem to be everywhere, so really no need for one. I hated wearing a watch. Ditto for rings.

I wear an IronMan Triathlon watch. I don't think this watch has come off for more than a few minutes over the last few years. It's easier than a phone (besides, I'd get distracted on the phone).

I use my watch for convenience. The clocks around me are not always reliable, the bank clock is slow, the clock in my car gets fast at an alarming rate. I work in an area where cell phones are not allowed (and wouldn't work anyway) I have a Timex Ironman waterproof watch, no fashion statements for me. It does let me keep up with the time at the pool or day at the beach, when I usually protect my phone sealed up away from the action pretty well. And most importantly, I don't have to reach in to my pocket every time I want to find out what time it is. Why on earth would somebody want to constantly pull out the phone and turn on the screen? What a pain. That's why we went to wristwatches, folks.

I guess those relatively large phones will lapse. A small chip implanted in the brain and projected all the information directly into the brain. The future of man is to change in cyborg :)

That's normal according to me counselor.. :rolleyes:

I also have a fitbit and a wrist watch and a pocket watch.

In fact, the wrist watch will not go quite in the history. The most expensive are a sign of wealth and status in society will remain :)More like an accessory than as something with real value for its owner :)

I worked for over 20 years on a flight deck and around aircraft. Aircraft (and most industrial) chemicals eat plastic and leather watchbands like tic tacs at a halitosis convention (fitbits included). EVERYONE on the flight deck needs to know a)what time it is NOW b)how long it's been since ABC happened c)how long until XYZ happens. Only way to know that is with a decent time piece.

Regardless of your occupation, there are LOTS of times when pulling out a phone is either not possible or not practical. Nothing beats a good watch, and a good watch battery lasts LOooooooooong after your phone battery is dead.

I have never been one for wearing watches, or any type jewelry (including my wedding band).
Cell phones become too expensive for us to use for what we got out of them so we got rid of them and only have a home phone now.
But I would love to have a mid 19th century solid gold "engraved" pocket time "piece" someday that would go along with my leather craft work.
The kind that set status for yourself back in the day.
I'd rather pay $4k for one in perfect working condition, than $200 for one made today that is only gold plated...if that.
One where the back cover hinges open and you can see the "movement", and a hinged "front" cover.
Or maybe "White" & "Yellow" Gold would be nice also. I have a Dragon tattoo on both upper arms, so the dragon one might be cool to have.
I think there will always be a place in time for time pieces that don't require batteries. A solar storm could ruin everything one day.
Some expensive fine watches are made to self wind by the movement of your arm. It only stops running if you don't wear it.

Last edited:
I agree smart phones are pretty awesome. I really love having a camera with me at all times, but I don't really rely on the phone for the "time". I do set some alarms, and I have a count-down app that is pretty handy.

For regular time and date I have this Invicta Sub Aqua Noma III. Picked it up on sale a few years ago at Costco.

DSCN0694.jpg

Back