Are these motors too damaged?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umcoo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was gifted some free Estes motors. Mostly D12-5's. One of the nozzles on one has slightly chipped/crumbled. Another has the ejection charge cap slightly crumbled where some of the BP charge can be seen.

Is it reasonable they're still flyable? No big deal if they can't be, but don't want to be overthinking it too. I'd value any input from more knowledgeable people. Thanks in advance.

IMG20221004203333.jpgIMG20221004203319.jpg

The nozzle is likely fine, but I wouldn’t use it with the cap like that. The ejection charge likely fell out.

If you decide you want to dispose of those motors, soak them in water overnight until the paper case comes unraveled. The contents are then inert and can be thrown away.

How old are these motors? I'd be more concerned about CATOs due to age. Just don't use 'em in any rocket you love. Sooner or later these will cause you a problem, but its your call.

Hi all,

I was gifted some free Estes motors. Mostly D12-5's. One of the nozzles on one has slightly chipped/crumbled. Another has the ejection charge cap slightly crumbled where some of the BP charge can be seen.

Is it reasonable they're still flyable? No big deal if they can't be, but don't want to be overthinking it too. I'd value any input from more knowledgeable people. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 540441View attachment 540442
When in doubt, fly them in a UFO... (or a spool)

At my local launch group, we had one guy who was trying to fly his rockets on very old "E9" motors, and either the age or a bad batch, but we had instances of the ceramic nozzle being pushed out once the motor ignited. So we saw a lot of smoke and flame, but the rocket obviously never launched as there was no thrust (or not enough once the nozzle blew).

Thanks all, appreciate it. I'm unsure if the age of them, but they'll be used in new models so I'd rather not risk them.

Cheaper to dispose of questionable motors than deal with a damaged rocket, and the resulting loss of money and time building another one.

They are probably flyable, but the deployment charge may not go off (black powder is compromised). That makes them less than safe to fly.
Estes motors are cheap enough that you can afford to safely discard the suspect samples and never look back.

When in doubt be safe and toss them in the container of water to soak overnight 👍
Witch test?
1664925782100.png

Witch test?
1664925782100.png

A duck.

The pic with the chip on the nozzle shows a crack extending down towards the throat. No way. No need to look any farther.

Gerald

The nozzle looks like it has pulled away from the casing some and the casing looks like it has seen some swelling from moisture.
Do not fly these.
Soak them in some water as has been suggested but only enough to cover the motor. Then when all the innards of the motor are out of the casing and into the water, pour it into your garden. BP has some good nutrients for plants in it.

I make a few trash rockets to fly on crappy old motors. I use old wrapping paper tubes for body tubes, roll motor tubes out of old paper towel tubes and glue, cut centering rings out of cardboard, and improvise the nose cone. If it blows up, who cares?

I had a bunch of old E9 and E12 motors I didn’t trust but didn’t want to just waste them. So I sponsored a “Death Race” and gave away motors to anyone who wanted one, with the understanding they were taking the risk. We launched them all in a mass-start drag race. We’ve done it a few times, and the worst (or best!) launch had about 30% catos.

The nozzle is likely fine, but I wouldn’t use it with the cap like that. The ejection charge likely fell out.

If you decide you want to dispose of those motors, soak them in water overnight until the paper case comes unraveled. The contents are then inert and can be thrown away.

I would not destroy them. I would fire them on the ground from a safe distance.

I had what I thought could be a bad D12 (turned out it was OK). @Ronz Rocketz suggested the Super Vortico, from Rocketarium. It's essentially CATO proof. After firing the suspect D12, I discovered what a fun rocket this is. Fly it often. Most people run for cover, as it doesn't look stable, even though it flies great.

Hans.

They are probably flyable, but the deployment charge may not go off (black powder is compromised). That makes them less than safe to fly.
Estes motors are cheap enough that you can afford to safely discard the suspect samples and never look back.

Witch test?
View attachment 540483
If the motor is dunked into the River and doesn’t ignite, then it’s not a witch. If it ignites in the water, then it is a witch.

Of course there are other ways of testing for Catos…

They make 18mm, 24mm, and 29mm versions. I think the 29mm would be terrifying to fly.....

Hans.

Naw, it’s all good.

Last edited:
They make 18mm, 24mm, and 29mm versions. I think the 29mm would be terrifying to fly.....

Hans.

A G-25 in the 29mm (turbo vortico) spins quickly enough I was concerned it would fly apart.

It didn't fly apart, but that is probably near the top of what you want to put in one.

I keep thinking about a SU G12 or H13 in the 29mm (turbo vortico).

Anybody try those combinations yet?
I asked Rocketarium what they thought, and they did not advise trying either one for the reason given by dhbarr above. We did have an interesting discussion about it at a club launch, but decided against it for safety reasons. I have flown my Turbo Vortico on a G80 Super Thunder (blue), it worked very well.

I like to push my vorticos. I’ve flown a turbo vortico on a G-40 a few times. It’s an exciting flight. I’ve thought about the G-12 and H-13, but haven’t tried it.

I also flew it with a G-75 once.

Once.

RIP little buddy.

Back