Are there any non-dual deploy altimeters that have downloadable flight data?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOSbermunda

Reaction score
I'm getting into mid-power rocketry, and I want to record data from my flights and display them on a graph or chart. I use the Jolly Logic ChuteRelease, so I have no need for dual deployment currently. Does anyone know of altimeters that can record flight data to be plotted out on a PC?

(I was going to go with the JollyLogic Altimeter 3 but its sold out everywhere)
Thanks!

I'm getting into mid-power rocketry, and I want to record data from my flights and display them on a graph or chart. I use the Jolly Logic ChuteRelease, so I have no need for dual deployment currently. Does anyone know of altimeters that can record flight data to be plotted out on a PC?

(I was going to go with the JollyLogic Altimeter 3 but its sold out everywhere)
Thanks!
Soon, I hope, Flightsketch will release their updated Bluetooth enabled altimeters - I know that the beta testers are flying them. Their Mini model fits exactly what you posted and their updated tracking version probably won’t cost much more.

You can sign up for email notices on the Flightsketch website but don’t hesitate - their stuff sells through fast!

The Eggtimer classic and quantum models are inexpensive and do full data recording and reporting. They are both dual-deploy, but I'm not sure why that would be a hindrance - they can be configured for just an event at apogee, if that's what you want. You do have to solder them, but the classic is very easy - all through hole - and the quantum is just a little harder, with some SMT thrown in.

The Eggtimer classic and quantum models are inexpensive and do full data recording and reporting. They are both dual-deploy, but I'm not sure why that would be a hindrance - they can be configured for just an event at apogee, if that's what you want. You do have to solder them, but the classic is very easy - all through hole - and the quantum is just a little harder, with some SMT thrown in.
I was looking at those, would I need an Ebay for them if I wasnt doing dual deployment? My NCR Bounty Hunter has a payload bay separate from the thrust section, but no Ebay

Perfectflite Pnut is a good option if you can find one. It has deployment channels but the StraoLoggerCF is another.

Again, deployment channels but the Eggtimer Quantum is a very good option, readily available and only $45

You might be able to find a FeatherWeight Parrot or an older Raven used.

easiest to use and currently available are the Jolly Logic 3 and the Flightsketch Mini both work through either bluetooth or wifi. Eggtimer Quantum and Proton are both deployment capable but can be used for recording, they just need somethingvyo pose as an ematch like a micro incandescent bulb ( Christmas tree bulb).

Full flight data (and graphs) can be had from the FS Mini, AltimeterThree, PerfectFlite Pnut, Altus Metrum MicroPeak, Adrel ALT-BMP.

Each of these requires some way to communicate with a computing device to get the graphs out. The first two use bluetooth (not WiFi, Rich, just bluetooth) to talk to a smart phone/tablet. The next three all use some kind of external gadget that ends up in a USB plug for your computer. Pnut supports Windows and MacOS (though the app is only 32bit, so it won’t work on the latest versions of MacOS). MicroPeak uses a Java app that runs on Windows, MacOS or Linux. Adrel’s unit (US dealer is North Coast Rocketry) requires Windows, specifically Windows 10 for the current version. The Adrel is alone among the latter three in that there is no way to get data out of it—even apogee—without a computer and interface. MicroPeak flashes its LED, Pnut beeps a beeper.

If I were you I’d get an FS Mini (or two) from Russ and/or ping John Beans to see when A3s will be back in stock.

I was looking at those, would I need an Ebay for them if I wasnt doing dual deployment?
No avionics bay needed if you are just keen for data. For the altimeters, regardles of which one you get, you can just power them up wrapped in foam and covered with a zip-lock bag for protection. Make sure you tether this well to the rocket. Kevlar cord works well for this. Protecting them from the BP ejection charge is important. There does of course need to be a vent to the outside of the airframe in the payload bat to couple the atmospheric pressure properly. If you want decent acceleration data you need to keep it aligned with the airframe during boost, to avoid the boost forces moving it around too much, particularly in orientation.

If you're just doing data recording, you can turn off the outputs on the Quantum, and simply wrap it up with a small 2S LiPo battery in a Nomex burrito. You could also use one of the small parachute deployment bags that Dino Chutes sells, too. You'll be able to retrieve your flight summary as soon as your flight is done, and your full download after you power-cycle the Quantum... wirelessly, with no cables.

As far as venting, I would recommend that you drill a few very small holes to help vent it to outside air, three 1/16" or 3/32" diameter holes would probably do it. You'll probably get data without drilling the holes (very few rockets are airtight, I have found), but the data will be more accurate and responsive if you explicitly vent it.

Last edited:
wrapped in foam and covered with a zip-lock bag for protection
All electronics need protection from shock of ejection and resulting corrosive gasses . . . Just don't ZIP the ziplock closed. A barometric altimeter needs to sample the ambient pressure at altitude. A closed package won't allow that to happen.

All electronics need protection from shock of ejection and resulting corrosive gasses . . . Just don't ZIP the ziplock closed. A barometric altimeter needs to sample the ambient pressure at altitude. A closed package won't allow that to happen.
The zip-lock bag flexes and provides the same pressure within that is on the outside.

Back