Are There Any Keychain CamcordersThat Are Worth teh Money??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First, I'm a big fan of Mobius ActionCam, and typically use them on all my flights. But there is one application- mounted on the high power booster and looking up at the sustainer, that I don't want to risk the Mobius to the possible exhaust damage from the sustainer.

I've owned several "keychain" camcorders over the years, but invariably the battery seems to crap out and won't hold a charge. I just had a wonderful opportunity to video my first booster "lawn dart" from the booster' s perspective, but the keychain camcorder died after only 60 seconds of power- still on the pad. Note the black Additive Aerospace camera mount on the booster.

Any recommendations as to a well-made keychain camera whose battery lasts? A keychain camera with a replaceable battery? A way to protect A Mobius from the sustainer exhaust if mounted on the booster?

No tears- this was the last flight of the 29mm booster anyway, since I plan to build a 38mm booster to push the sustainer a little higher. FILE0193.JPG FILE0190.JPG

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

I would like to know myself. I ordered a suggested one in another thread off of ebay and it doesn't work...

Mate808 cameras. I have 3. Good battery life and video quality for only $30. Check them out at matecamera.com

Just a quick note on battery life.

Never store a LiPo with a full or nearly dead charge as it causes the chemicals to break down. Always store half-charged.

Most decent LiPo chargers have a 'storage charge's option for that reason. If you have a way to check the charge run USB-charged devices drain down (or charge) to a half-charged before storing.

The problem with the cheap 808 cameras is there is no charge control circuits or any way to know what the charge level is. If you plug it into a USB and leave it too long, it over charges, damages the battery and stops keeping a charge.

Thanks for the replies. I opened up the two keychain cameras that weren't working, and found that the battery in each is replaceable. I ordered two batteries, and based on your recommendation, I'll fully charge after the flight, and discharge for 30 minutes, which should be approximately half-charge. I'll also check out the other cameras suggested.

Mike Momenee
TRA#12430 L3

The Mobius ActionCam also comes with a lens cap. I'm going to see if I can cut out the end of the cap, and somehow cement a small glass or plexi piece from the end of a small flashlight, which (hopefully) would protect the lens from any sustainer stage exhaust.

Regarding the LiPo battery- I found a pigtail on Ebay that looks like it will accept the micro plug on the end of the keychain battery and will connect to my LiPo charger. Of course, I'll have to remove the battery in order to charge it on my LiPo charger, but clearly I must be leaving my kechain camcorders on the USB charger cable too long, since my batteries always seem to last MAYBE a season.

Plus, I found some round glass slide covers that are 18mm in diameter- and should fit onto the cut-out top of the Mobius lens cap, if i want to risk a Mobius on the booster stage, looking up at the sustainer ignition and separation.

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

One customer glued a piece of polycarbonate over the lens end of a mobius shroud looking upwards. Was a standard mobius without the wide angle lens (the wide angle lens protrudes from the shroud)

The only keychain cameras that have worked for me are the ones I bought from Bayou Rat Rocketry. The ones bought straight from China always had issues.

Though not as small or cheap, I like the Mobius camera I recently acquired. I especially like that the Mobius is available with a regular lens. The fisheye effect from most action cams is annoying, especially when used with rockets as the horizon can jump from looking curved down to curved up and back as the rocket arcs over.

I'm a big fan of Mobius. Just didn't want to risk one of them mounted on the booster stage, and possibly getting hit with the blast from the sustainer stage. I'll check out Bayou Rat Rocketry- thanks!

Really interested in getting a camera to test. I like the specs of the Mobius and the fact I can order one and not worry if it’s a dud or not. (The 808 and U8 look great because they are small and cheap but I feel it’s a gamble to ship from China and wait for weeks to find out if I got a working camera)
Will I have any performance issues using the Mobius on my mid power smaller diameter rockets? 2-3” diameter.
Edit: just saw the mobius mini and ordered it. Slightly lower profile.

Last edited:
I have used Mobius on a 1.6" & 2" as well as 3,4, & 6" dia. rockets. I'd suggest investing in a camera shroud from Additive Aerospace. They come in specific body tube diameters, and help with the aerodynamics. I purchased one for each body diameter, but that's just me. There are other 3D shroud printers, but I've only tried Additive.

I have only used the larger Mobius, but it worked fine as far as flight characteristics with a G80 motor in a 1.6, 2, & 3" rockets.

IMG_6434.jpg
Got my Mobius Mini in the mail today. So small. Ordered a couple shrouds from additive aerospace for two of my rockets. Can’t wait to use it.

I second the mobius mini had one just 1/4-20 cap head threw the wall on my level 1 and level 2 both where just under mach and didnt even budge . Caught the delaminating of my fiberglass layup and fin flex clear as day . I have an additive areo shroud for my level 3 mach 1.8 dont want to chance losing it .Geat camera has mounts available to cross to other hobbies that u want to video .

For anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future, I'm going to reiterate the Mobius cameras have been solid for most people. Original, Mini, Maxi, all good. Can be programmed to record on power up, and it doesn't get much simpler than that.

I have well over 1000 shrouds out there, and the 808's disproportionately report recording problems.

I have used 808s for almost all of my flights with no issue but they are getting a little long in the tooth. I am looking at an upgrade and have settled on either the Mobius or the firefly q6

Back