Are people seriously hoarding toilet paper? I thoght t was a joke until I got a tet asking if I had

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back from a grocery run to Spooner WI, a town of 1200 in NW Wisconsin. This is a very rural area, lots of forests, lakes, & rivers. When I pulled into Economart, where I have been buying my groceries for nearly 30 years, the parking lot was damned near full. The store was the busiest I've ever seen. I did score some toilet paper though. My normal buy of a pack of 9 rolls. But I must admit that isle was pretty bare.

Most of the people were older than me & I'm 69. So it makes sense that my elders were stocking up. Us old farts will suffer/die more than the youngins.

Be sure to update you will to indicate who will inherit the unused T.P.

We would not want the surviving family members fighting over the family fortune.;)

I went to the grocery store early this morning and observed empty shelves for paper products, milk, fresh garlic, ground beef, all fresh chicken, and bread. Many more shoppers than the usual Monday morning geezer regulars and the parking lot was full.

So why did I go?

Guinness Blonde for tomorrow and some other essentials.

I coughed a lot and people kept their distance.

I am a retailer also. The last several days have been interesting to say the least. Some report are having customers go into the stock rooms looking for stuff. That can be very dangerous.

I went to the grocery store early this morning and observed empty shelves for paper products, milk, fresh garlic, ground beef, all fresh chicken, and bread. Many more shoppers than the usual Monday morning geezer regulars and the parking lot was full.

So why did I go?

Guinness Blonde for tomorrow and some other essentials.

I coughed a lot and people kept their distance.

Fresh garlic? do they confuse zombies with vampires?

Latest report from the CDC recommends no gatherings of 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks.
The 14 day stockpile recommendation is for infected people so they can self quarantine and let the disease run its course until they are no longer infectious.
For some uninfected people who want to remain uninfected they are looking at self isolation until the threat from the community has passed. Could be months, hence the stockpiling. Nothing to do with getting diarrhea.

Also by stockpiling they reduce the # of trips they have to make outside, reducing their exposure.

Could be they have a grandparent with diabetes, heart problems, COPD, asthma, or other respiratory problems, an immuno-compromised family member, whatever. Can't say I blame them.
Then there's the herd (sheep) mentality. Some people do whatever everybody else is doing.

One thing I read that is of real concern is that the Chinese have been finding that people who recover in the hospital have been shedding virus particles for up to 20 DAYS after "recovering". So there is a real risk that some people get the CV, recover at home, and then resume usual activities, not realizing that they are still contagious and are spreading it around more.

We're trying to stay away from people, basically self-quarantining ourselves as long as possible - the wife is a pharmacist though, and being as she has a weakened immune system due to having to take immuno-suppressant drugs to keep her psoritic arthritis at bay she is particularly vulnerable. I also have a lowered white cell count due to having had Lyme disease, which is known to suppress your immune system. Even though I appear to be "symptom-free", there is no way to be sure I no longer have it, and its prone to hide out in your tissues for years, waiting to reappear. Which may explain my lowered white counts...

Latest report from the CDC recommends no gatherings of 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks.

Before, it was 100 or more . . . Now, it's 50 or more . . .

Let's be "brutally honest" - If you have close contact with ONE infected person, you are in as much danger !

Stock up . . . Stay home . . . "Bug-In" . . . Take whatever actions are necessary to protect your family !

Dave F.

One thing I read that is of real concern is that the Chinese have been finding that people who recover in the hospital have been shedding virus particles for up to 20 DAYS after "recovering". So there is a real risk that some people get the CV, recover at home, and then resume usual activities, not realizing that they are still contagious and are spreading it around more.

We're trying to stay away from people, basically self-quarantining ourselves as long as possible - the wife is a pharmacist though, and being as she has a weakened immune system due to having to take immuno-suppressant drugs to keep her psoritic arthritis at bay she is particularly vulnerable. I also have a lowered white cell count due to having had Lyme disease, which is known to suppress your immune system. Even though I appear to be "symptom-free", there is no way to be sure I no longer have it, and its prone to hide out in your tissues for years, waiting to reappear. Which may explain my lowered white counts...

I read a similar article the other day, from a responsible source, not one of the alarmist sites.

Here is Chicago, our IDIOT governor just closed restaurants so now there's panic shopping at all of the local stores. Stopped in to pick up normal stuff the other day and the paper good, bread, pasta and meat sections were all empty. Media and politics are fueling this thing. While it should be taken seriously, the media has everyone thinking the sky is falling.

For normal folks like us that don't buy into the hype, we can't get normal everyday items. Seriously folks. What the hell do you need with hundreds of rolls of TP?

Here is Chicago, our IDIOT governor just closed restaurants so now there's panic shopping at all of the local stores. Stopped in to pick up normal stuff the other day and the paper good, bread, pasta and meat sections were all empty. Media and politics are fueling this thing. While it should be taken seriously, the media has everyone thinking the sky is falling.

For normal folks like us that don't buy into the hype, we can't get normal everyday items. Seriously folks. What the hell do you need with hundreds of rolls of TP?

Same problem here now. I wish I could personally smack every panic shopper in the face. There is nothing left for us non-idiots.

Here in Austria, the government announced shutdown measures on Friday. Until Saturday it was a bit crazy in the stores, or so I've heard. But this has died down quickly. Give it a couple of days for non-urgent purchases. Apparently the biggest challenge for now is keeping the shelves restocked fast enough.

Reinhard

I saw some crazy woman at the grocery store just sweeping canned goods off the shelf into her cart as she barreled through the aisle. I may have muttered WTF is wrong with you as she pushed through us. I just wanted some crushed tomatoes to make pizza sauce.

@SDramstad Your avatar really helps with the dramatic effect!

@blackwing94 Simply hilarious!

The horribly-sad thing is people who are panic-selling stocks and stuff from their retirement accounts. And the panic-mongers and politicizers care nothing for them. I just increased my 401k contributions, and I'm only 17 months from retirement. I made a dip buy, too, but too early. it'll be back, though. Human selfishness demands it...

Seriously, though, Ladders doesn't have a governmental axe to grind. They don't just say, "Don't panic." They give reasons why it's not as panic-worthy as so many think it is.

Exactly. The biggest panic-mongers are non-governmental and (probably best not to get too close to this) opposed to the current administration.

Last edited:
Well went out for the first time in 8 days early this morning. Made a run to Kroger to get groceries and pickup a prescription. Two things that were definitely not there, antiseptics like alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, and toilet paper. I really should have taken a picture, but in the paper products aisle, instead of TP, they had stocked it with Frito-Lay product. Not sure why? But then, thinking about it, for certain Frito-Lay offerings, there may be an application... Could Scoops get the job done?
fritos-scoops.png

Back