Are people seriously hoarding toilet paper? I thoght t was a joke until I got a tet asking if I had

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sill think the whole thing is a conspiracy set in motion by the bidet industry to spur sales.

Incorrect.

it is a conspiracy by the Humane Society to increase the adoption of shelter dogs and cats. They love to lick.:barf:

I can't find it now, but my son showed me a video from a car builder, I think "Vice Grip Garage" where he showed his answer to the problem: He took a sawz-all to a roll of shop towels! We had a laugh!

But seriously, this is crazy. We're not wiped out here at home (yet), but for Pete's sake, people - this bug doesn't cause diarrhea!

I can't find it now, but my son showed me a video from a car builder, I think "Vice Grip Garage" where he showed his answer to the problem: He took a sawz-all to a roll of shop towels! We had a laugh!

But seriously, this is crazy. We're not wiped out here at home (yet), but for Pete's sake, people - this bug doesn't cause diarrhea!

Last I heard, paper towels and napkins are sold out now as well.

What I don't get is how much freaking toilet paper do these people use? On this thread I've heard people say, "Sure I stocked up because I want to have enough for two weeks." But one smallish package of TP is enough for two weeks, and one of those giant sized packages last for months even when all of our kids are home. We didn't buy any and the half used package in the closet is probably enough to last us for weeks. Okay, we might have to use a couple of the rolls that the dog chewed on at some point, but why would anyone need to buy a hundred rolls? From the photos I saw, some of those folks are going to still have TP left over a year from now.

What I don't get is how much freaking toilet paper do these people use? On this thread I've heard people say, "Sure I stocked up because I want to have enough for two weeks." But one smallish package of TP is enough for two weeks, and one of those giant sized packages last for months even when all of our kids are home. We didn't buy any and the half used package in the closet is probably enough to last us for weeks. Okay, we might have to use a couple of the rolls that the dog chewed on at some point, but why would anyone need to buy a hundred rolls? From the photos I saw, some of those folks are going to still have TP left over a year from now.

Answer is one word: "Chipotle"

That’s my thinking as well. We have half of one of those Charmin 6 = 36 mega roll packages that I bought earlier last month sometime and a spare roll in the rocket trailer. I noticed there were still napkins and one very small brand of paper towels at the store. The liquid hand soap was out, but at the other end of the store Dawn, Dove, and Palmolive liquid dish soap, clearly marked for use as hand soap also, was at its normal level.

Latest report from the CDC recommends no gatherings of 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks.
The 14 day stockpile recommendation is for infected people so they can self quarantine and let the disease run its course until they are no longer infectious.
For some uninfected people who want to remain uninfected they are looking at self isolation until the threat from the community has passed. Could be months, hence the stockpiling. Nothing to do with getting diarrhea.
Also by stockpiling they reduce the # of trips they have to make outside, reducing their exposure.
Could be they have a grandparent with diabetes, heart problems, COPD, asthma, or other respiratory problems, an immuno-compromised family member, whatever. Can't say I blame them.
What is puzzling are the runs on bottled water. If your tap water is potable there's no need to stock up on bottled water. No foreseeable chance of tap water being shut off. Also no danger of contamination, the virus needs a host in order to replicate itself.
Then there's the herd (sheep) mentality. Some people do whatever everybody else is doing.

This was posted here on TRF on one of the caronavirus threads. Makes sense for Hong Kong but nowhere else.

"The TP thing started in Hong Kong and in order to understand it you have to roll the wheels of time backwards. Back when HK was a British colony HK had a lot of access to world markets in order to ship out goods and to receive goods. I went there many times when I was in the Navy and when you entered the harbor there were ships from all over the world bringing in tons of western products including TP. In turn HK was shipping tons of electronics and other products to the west. Now fast forward to when the United Kingdom turned HK over to the Chinese communist, in the turn over agreement it was stated that China would allow some freedom and self rule in HK. Now as time has progressed China is continuing to press harder and harder on HK and one of the first things they started doing was to reroute HK's supply chains from the west to China. HK was a large market to be tapped plus it made HK more dependent on China for goods and services. When the political unrest started last year over the new laws that were being imposed on the people by the chicoms and a China friendly HK government the first thing China did was to squeeze down the supply chain form the Chinese factories to the HK stores. And guess what, one of the things that went into high demand was TP. Now when the virus stuff started China started rerouting massive amounts of supplies to the infected areas. Where did a lot of those supplies come from ? Yep supplies bound for HK were cut way back. So if you will remember when this stuff started hitting the world news they were showing all kinds of things that was happening in China. Well buried in all of that were stories of TP shortages in HK, there were reports of extreme shortages of TP and other goods, stories of hoarding, robberies, etc. Well people remembered those stories and when the spotlight shifted here to the United States so did the stories of shortages of TP and other vital supplies. So with that planted in everybody's minds and people fearing that they will be locked in their homes for weeks at a time it kicked off the hoarding. Plus it's one small measure that tells folks that they are still in control of their lives."

I'm glad I still have several years of old phone books laying around. I live rurally so the phone books around here are small form factor. :p
I've heard old newspapers will work too.:D

We are no strangers to runs on TP here. Every time there's a threat of a hurricane strike you see runs on bottled water, canned goods, rice, generators and TP.
The 1971 dock strike was over 100 days long. Many goods were unable to be restocked on store shelves, including TP.
So now if there is even a hint of some disaster or supply chain disruption you may see some kind of a run here. Half the pumps were shut down at the gas station where I fill up the other day. People were stocking up, apparently.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the current exchange rate is on TP? More specifically I’m looking for how many Newton seconds of impulse on a rocket motor per roll of toilet paper.

(In reply to kurinin's first post #38 above) )Very true, I don't think anybody is criticizing getting a legitimate supply, especially if you are at risk - my father in law & my mother are both over 90 and my mother-in-law is 84, so we are being careful for their sakes. But when you see people taking whole flats with hundreds of rolls out of the warehouse stores, you know that they are either panic-buying or buying for resale - I suppose there might be a few that are buying for a whole neighborhood or something... but man, one of those warehouse packs lasts months around here.

Anyone know what the current exchange rate is on TP? More specifically I’m looking for how many Newton seconds of impulse on a rocket motor per roll of toilet paper.
As I said in my post, I'm willing to trade 10 rolls of TP, MIB ~2.625" x 3.625" x 7" for an Estes Omega (K-52P) w/balsa nosecone, and I'll double that offer for a Cineroc with an Omega (K-52). Ships from China.

89816756_10221809551932342_3332659218833473536_n.jpg

But when you see people taking whole flats with hundreds of rolls out of the warehouse stores, you know that they are either panic-buying or buying for resale - I suppose there might be a few that are buying for a whole neighborhood or something... but man, one of those warehouse packs lasts months around here.
I agree, there is a difference between prudence and overreaction.

As I said in my post, I'm willing to trade 10 rolls of TP, MIB ~2.625" x 3.625" x 7" for an Estes Omega (K-52P) w/balsa nosecone, and I'll double that offer for a Cineroc with an Omega (K-52). Ships from China.

89816756_10221809551932342_3332659218833473536_n.jpg
Somebody posted a pic on another thread of a store promo: if you buy a 6 pack of Corona beer you get a free roll of TP.
Couldn't stop laughing!

I should mention that those rolls don't waste any space with cardboard tubes (not good for scratch building, but gentle on your butt).

It only takes a small percentage of hoarders to obliterate the supply of anything. So once the hoarders set in, panic becomes more widespread because just a few people, thinking only of themselves (which includes sellers), quickly decimate the supply of things. My grandparents lived through rationing in WWII, I don't see why we can't either in a time of crisis.

A rocketeer buying tubeless toilet paper? How could you! SACRILEGE! :D
I know, in normal circumstances I'd probably get kicked in the fanny for that, but I'm trying to offer the best value to the person who'd be willing to take me up on that.

My wife never lets us get low on TP, so I don't even have to worry. Plus, we live in the land of hurricanes and ice storms, and have weathered plenty of both; so we tend to stay somewhat prepped.

I just got back from a grocery run to Spooner WI, a town of 1200 in NW Wisconsin. This is a very rural area, lots of forests, lakes, & rivers. When I pulled into Economart, where I have been buying my groceries for nearly 30 years, the parking lot was damned near full. The store was the busiest I've ever seen. I did score some toilet paper though. My normal buy of a pack of 9 rolls. But I must admit that isle was pretty bare.

Most of the people were older than me & I'm 69. So it makes sense that my elders were stocking up. Us old farts will suffer/die more than the youngins.

Back