Are old FSI motors worth anything?

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by belfert, Dec 15, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Dec 15, 2018 #1

belfert

belfert

belfert

I was given a dozen or more old FSI motors to burn in a campfire as we figured nobody should be flying 30 year old black powder motors.

Is there any value to these before I burn them in a fire? Most are still in original packaging. I would rather someone have them if there is any value rather than burn them.

I will post an ad in the classifieds if there is interest.

2. Dec 15, 2018 #2

MECO

MECO

MECO

I recently flew some FSI D18 motors dated 1976. They flew fine. Before you throw them in a fire, why not send em up?

John

3. Dec 15, 2018 #3

cavecentral

cavecentral

cavecentral

Some of us collect old motors. Where are you located? They may be fine to fly depending on storage and if dropped hard to crack the bp grain.

4. Dec 15, 2018 #4

mikec

mikec

mikec

You really don't want to burn BP motors in a fire! Only loose AP grains are safe (with proper precautions.)

5. Dec 15, 2018 #5

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

If you're near one of us, I'm sure we'll store or fly 'em for you.

6. Dec 15, 2018 #6

MECO

MECO

MECO

+1
    I have a bunch of ELV's (expendable launch vehicles) just waiting for such missions...

7. Dec 15, 2018 #7

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

When my TARC team found some old FSI motors in the back of the motor box, there were a few people lining up to take them. Check with your local club--someone probably wants them especially if they're the odd 21mm size.

8. Dec 15, 2018 #8

belfert

belfert

belfert

These were given to the local club by someone. Nobody in the club wanted them as afraid they might destroy the rocket. These have been temperature cycled below freezing for sure.

9. Dec 15, 2018 #9

sooner.boomer

sooner.boomer

sooner.boomer

Sounds like a perfect test motor for a spool rocket. You can build a minimum-component spool with just a tube for the motor mount and two disks. Depending on the size of the motor, and how durable you want the rocket to be, the disks can even be made from cardstock (chipboard, mattboard).

10. Dec 15, 2018 #10

Mike Helm

Mike Helm

Mike Helm

360LTR

Which motors do you have? We used to call them "Fright Systems" even when they were new. They are very fun motors when they work correctly. Use them in expendable launch vehicles or make stick-rockets. Static fire a couple then decide what you're willing to risk them in but DO NOT put them in the fire. It is not safe to burn these in a fire.

11. Dec 16, 2018 #11

bjphoenix

bjphoenix

bjphoenix

Something like 25 years ago a friend of mine discovered model rockets and bought an FSI starter kit with rocket and some F motors. The first one suffered ejection failure and slightly shortened the rocket. We cut off the damaged end of the tube and launched with another motor. This time the motor CATO'd with a big bang and destroyed the rocket. He gave me the remaining few motors. I scrounged up a large cardboard tube from a paper roll and made a rocket out of it. I used heavy posterboard for fins and rolled a cone shaped nose cone out of paper. IOW I didn't invest any money and only minimal time in building a rocket in case another motor failed. We launched it twice and it flew fine both times.

When I started building rockets a long time ago Estes only made motors up to B. We discovered FSI and ordered a few C motors from them, maybe this was the biggest motor they had at the time. The motors were unusual to us- larger diameter than 18mm but with tiny nozzles. I had a BT55 scratch built so I cut out its motor mount and rolled a new paper tube for a motor mount to fit the FSI motors. I thought I remembered that they were an odd size such as 21mm but I still have the rocket and recently checked to find that an Estes D motor fits in that tube. I made a new motor mount and glued inside the original one so I can start launching that rocket again on 18mm motors. I think it will perform well on an 18mm C, I don't want to launch it with a D. I figured that rocket is right at 50 years old.

12. Dec 17, 2018 #12

belfert

belfert

belfert

I forgot to inventory the FSI motors over the weekend. I know a bunch of them are F motors, but don't recall the designation.

13. Dec 17, 2018 #13

MECO

MECO

MECO

They would be F7’s and/or F100’s. I used to love flying those dirty ol’ BP motors.

14. Dec 17, 2018 #14

cavecentral

cavecentral

cavecentral

F7s barely lift their own weight. Had some fun land sharks chasing around from those.

15. Dec 17, 2018 #15

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

You should soak old BP motors in water to destroy them. But as others have said, someone may want to fly them. Some people in my club flew some old AP motors given to our club and the results were interesting. Several destroyed rockets, but lots of fun.

16. Dec 18, 2018 #16

shreadvector

shreadvector

shreadvector

They make excellent Gopher-Gassers.

17. Dec 18, 2018 #17

caveduck

caveduck

caveduck

semi old rocketeer

Old black powder motors that have been stored OK usually work. However, the FSI F7 and F100 types were prone to failure even when they were current. The big propellant grains were more sensitive to manufacturing imperfections and temperature cycling than Estes motors, and thermal cycling was not a very well known issue when most of 'em were made. The F7's would often burst the casing 50 feet in the air rather than blow out along the axis, but they were amazing in a light rocket (think F10 but with more smoke). They also were the motor of choice for internats RCBG circa 1980. The F100 failure mode was mostly to blow out the ends. Have fun but don't use in anything you care about! Oh yeah they are weird sizes (22 and 27 mm) so you might have to make suitable tubes and rings.

18. Dec 20, 2018 #18

belfert

belfert

belfert

I was wrong on the F motors. Someone else took the F motors. What I have are fifteen sealed three packs of various D and E motors.

19. Dec 24, 2018 #19

belfert

belfert

belfert

I was trying to figure out how I could ship these if someone wanted them and realized that an individual can't really ship any rocket motors legally even if they are labeled as toy propellant. You have to get a letter from the Post Office to ship toy propellant.

I will probably see if the local NAR club wants them.

20. Dec 24, 2018 #20

MECO

MECO

MECO

Where are you?

21. Dec 25, 2018 #21

belfert

belfert

belfert

Located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

22. Dec 28, 2018 #22

RocketT.Coyote

RocketT.Coyote

RocketT.Coyote

I think the old FSI Mach One booster was a somewhat sculpted F100-0 epoxied to a coupler with a set of plywood fins to epoxy to the booster motor.