Are Fly-Away Rail Guides Allowed in Level 1 Certification?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if the FARG breaks....then the rocket would not be in immediately reflyable condition, just sayin!

What if the FARG breaks....then the rocket would not be in immediately reflyable condition, just sayin!
As a certification witness I wouldn’t withhold my signature because of that, as long as the rocket survived. The rocket could be placed into a tower or have acme rail guides glued on. I’ve seen so many FARGs break that I consider them expendable.

There are no Tripoli or NAR restrictions that would prohibit fly away rail guides for certification flights. Read the certification rules.

I have read the rules, there is no mention one way or another about FARGs, I did not want to assume, I wanted to ask. Thank you for the answer.

Last edited:
The typical statement I’d it must be reflyizble today. I would pass a rocket even if they had to glue another rail button on.

As a certification witness I wouldn’t withhold my signature because of that, as long as the rocket survived. The rocket could be placed into a tower or have acme rail guides glued on. I’ve seen so many FARGs break that I consider them expendable.
Just threw it out there to see what the answer would be, I wouldn't fail a cert flight over what is technically a piece of GSE (IMO).

I’ve seen so many FARGs break that I consider them expendable.

Agree
The fly away guides must be made light enough so not to be a hazard falling out of the sky. So they tend to break in use.
I consider them as part of the launcher, if the ignition wires get burned it is still a good certification flight.

I suppose it depends on when the FARG breaks. If it breaks while the rocket is on the rail then you're going to have a really bad launch. Otherwise...
I wouldn't fail a cert flight over what is technically a piece of GSE (IMO).
I consider them as part of the launcher, if the ignition wires get burned it is still a good certification flight.
I too would have to agree; the FARG is not part of the rocket. It shatter into shards or disappear completely and that doesn't mean the rocket is not recovered intact. The fate of the FARG should be irrelevant (unless its destruction poses a danger).

Back