• Have you entered ???
    LAUNCH LAB ROCKETRY GIVEAWAY

Are Fly-Away Rail Guides Allowed in Level 1 Certification?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What if the FARG breaks....then the rocket would not be in immediately reflyable condition, just sayin!
As a certification witness I wouldn’t withhold my signature because of that, as long as the rocket survived. The rocket could be placed into a tower or have acme rail guides glued on. I’ve seen so many FARGs break that I consider them expendable.

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There are no Tripoli or NAR restrictions that would prohibit fly away rail guides for certification flights. Read the certification rules.
I have read the rules, there is no mention one way or another about FARGs, I did not want to assume, I wanted to ask. Thank you for the answer.

Last edited:

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
The typical statement I’d it must be reflyizble today. I would pass a rocket even if they had to glue another rail button on.

rharshberger

Reaction score
As a certification witness I wouldn’t withhold my signature because of that, as long as the rocket survived. The rocket could be placed into a tower or have acme rail guides glued on. I’ve seen so many FARGs break that I consider them expendable.
Just threw it out there to see what the answer would be, I wouldn't fail a cert flight over what is technically a piece of GSE (IMO).