Are FG rockets Class 1 Model Rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhkaiser

Reaction score
From FILING FOR FAA WAIVER...

Class 1 Model Rockets

Class 1 rockets include what used to be known as model and large model rockets. They are defined at 14 CFR 101.22(a):

Class 1 Model Rocket means an amateur rocket that:

1 Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
2 Uses a slow-burning propellant;
3 Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
4 Contains no substantial metal parts; and
5 Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.

This comes up somewhat regularly. It depends on whether you consider fiberglass-reinforced plastic "breakable" or not. You'll get a lot of opinions but no definite conclusion.

From FILING FOR FAA WAIVER...

Class 1 Model Rockets

Class 1 rockets include what used to be known as model and large model rockets. They are defined at 14 CFR 101.22(a):

Class 1 Model Rocket means an amateur rocket that:

1 Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
2 Uses a slow-burning propellant;
3 Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
4 Contains no substantial metal parts; and
5 Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.

Depending on how they are built most of the Madcow rocketry 1.6" thin wall FG rockets could be kept under the 3.3lbs or 1500grams limit.

The reason I ask is my Wildman Drago is less than the 3.3lb. I sure would like to fly it in a couple weeks at a class 1 launch.

I have a 2.6" FG Madcow Black Brant II that weighs in at 44 oz. I can fly it on certain "H" reloads and stay within Class 1 guidelines.

There are no rocketry police. If you're under the limit, and not a full metal rocket, it's generally accepted as ok.

Latest posts

Back