Are dms thrust rings still an issue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrace

Reaction score
I have been using dms I500t and J425 without a problem but I just saw a lot of stuff on thrust ring issues but all of it was a couple of years old. I want to buy a K535 and some more of the I and J dms motors but I didn't know if this issue was fixed on current motors or if needed to modify them.

If in doubt, a little super glue and/or epoxy can make sure that they don't let go when they shouldn't.

DMS motors now come with 3D printed thrust rings. I believe this has resolved the issue.

Every one that I've used in the past year or so has had a sturdy thrust ring. Now, forward closures are a different matter... (i.e. L1000)

I flew an L1000 earlier this year (purchased onsite from Wildman). The fire came out of the right end, and it propelled my 4" Punisher on it's maiden flight to ~10k. Would definitely get one again if I had the cash.

I flew an L1000 earlier this year (purchased onsite from Wildman). The fire came out of the right end, and it propelled my 4" Punisher on it's maiden flight to ~10k. Would definitely get one again if I had the cash.

(Hijack alert...) I flew two L1000's at LDRS last year (2016), the first one blew out the forward closure so violently that all of the motor guts came out (it sheared off the Aeropack retainer). The replacement motor that I got from the Aerotech booth flew to 11,600', I didn't find out until I took out the motor when I got home that the forward closure had actually come apart. The rocket had a solid bulkhead ahead of the motor mount, apparently it was strong enough to prevent this from damaging anything.

Hopefully your motor was newer and maybe they got this problem fixed.

Mine had a code on it of 100237. Not sure what that means.

I bought/flew it on March 18, so I guess that's plausible.

Back