Are Der Grosser Max decals still available? Where do I buy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMcD

Reaction score
Looking for the Der Grosser Max scheme for a Big Daddy - googling did not turn up a site for Excelsior Rocketry. Does anyone know if these can be bought anywhere these days?

For water slide decals you can contact Tom Prestia, owner of Tango Papa Decals, at tangopapadecals-at-gmail.com

For vinyl decals contact Mark Hayes, owner of stickershock23, at stickershock23-at-gmail.com

Der Grosser Max is an Excelsior exclusive, so I don't know that you'd be able to find someone else to do them for you. When his Alps printers gave up the ghost, Gordon pretty much got out of the decal business, but he was still selling off old stock the last time I checked his site. www.sandmandecals.com

I'm about to build another Big Daddy, and I recalled that I had seen Der Grosser Vati pictures online. I googled, and I was relieved to find this thread, as it would surely point me to a source for those elusive decals. Then I clicked the link and discovered a forgotten thread I started four years ago, the last time I built a Big Daddy. So, in the intervening four years, does anyone have a source for DGV decals?

I haven't thought about those decals in years! Back in 2008, I worked with Phred to create the Der Grosser Vati decals.

See,
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/new-decal-from-excelsior-rocketry-der-grosser-vati.118111/

I had the idea, created an initial design, and sent him the file to ask if he could print it for me. He liked it and offered suggestions for improvements. We worked together to iterate on it. I came up with my final take on the art and sent it to him. Then he did a few tweaks (Snoopy on his doghouse, etc) and offered it for sale. [When Gordon took over Excelsior, he may have tweaked it a bit more. I don't recall for sure.]

So, the final design that Phred offered for sale was a co-creation. I don't have any files for that exact version.
I do have the files for my "final" version prior to his last tweaks. With Excelsior defunct, I would be okay with sharing a PDF file of it. You'd be able to print yourself a black version on clear waterslide decal paper anyway.

When StickerShock23 is open again, I suppose that I could offer him the files. Since he offers Der Red Max and Big Daddy decals, he might be interested in offering Der Grosser Vati.

Alan

This was one of Excelsior's best decal sheets. I bet a lot of people would be very happy to see Sticker Shock make it available again.

Andrew

I haven't thought about those decals in years! Back in 2008, I worked with Phred to create the Der Grosser Vati decals.

See,
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/new-decal-from-excelsior-rocketry-der-grosser-vati.118111/

I had the idea, created an initial design, and sent him the file to ask if he could print it for me. He liked it and offered suggestions for improvements. We worked together to iterate on it. I came up with my final take on the art and sent it to him. Then he did a few tweaks (Snoopy on his doghouse, etc) and offered it for sale. [When Gordon took over Excelsior, he may have tweaked it a bit more. I don't recall for sure.]

So, the final design that Phred offered for sale was a co-creation. I don't have any files for that exact version.
I do have the files for my "final" version prior to his last tweaks. With Excelsior defunct, I would be okay with sharing a PDF file of it. You'd be able to print yourself a black version on clear waterslide decal paper anyway.

When StickerShock23 is open again, I suppose that I could offer him the files. Since he offers Der Red Max and Big Daddy decals, he might be interested in offering Der Grosser Vati.

Alan

170183-GrosserVatiwebsite01sm.jpg170184-GrosserVatiwebsite02sm.jpg170185-GrosserVatiwebsite03sm.jpg

Yep, those are photos of my personal Der Grosser Vati (taken out on the deck of my house at the time and then provided to Excelsior).

Unfortunately, I lost it on its fifth flight when it lawn-darted into a brushy area and couldn't be found. I have another Big Daddy kit and one set of the decals but haven't gotten around to building a replacement.

Back