Are COVID-19 Lockdowns Really Causing Nature to Heal?

modeltrains

Reaction score
Are COVID-19 Lockdowns Really Causing Nature to Heal?
It’s complicated.
by Brian Owens
May 26, 2021 | 800 words, about 4 minutes
https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/are-covid-19-lockdowns-really-causing-nature-to-heal/

There were viral reports of dolphins in the canals of Venice, Italy, and pumas in the streets in Santiago, Chile. But new research shows (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320721002275) that the true effect of suddenly removing people from so many environments has turned out to be much more complex.

“It was surprising how variable the responses were,” says Amanda Bates, an ecologist at Memorial University in Newfoundland and Labrador who led an international team of more than 350 researchers in an effort to study how lockdowns have affected the natural world. “It’s impossible to say,” says Bates, whether the consequence of people’s sudden disappearance “was positive or negative.”

The team collected and analyzed data from hundreds of scientific monitoring programs, as well as media reports, from 67 countries.

Reaction score
Sure, humans damage the planet. Everyone of the 1.2 BILLION cars on the road take in clean ambient air and expel heated toxic pollutants out the exhaust. Then we can talk about the many other pollutants we wreck our planet with. Animals looked around and noticed,"Hey, where did all those A$$holes with the high-powered rifles go? Must be safe to come out and live naturally for a change."

Reaction score
If that is of high concern to you then why do you do a hobby which is dependent on that happening?
There's a huge difference in the quantity I produce ( since I've only shot off 2 rockets in the last 40 years) versus the almost immeasurable amount that everybody else produces 24/7/365 days a year for over a century. My total time of polluting with rockets is less than 1minute.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
All we really want and need in the following is the "heat and light" to run machines and such.
Combustion-Reaction.jpg
Unfortunately, the "carbon dioxyde" is just piling up in the atmosphere and oceans (and biosphere). Recirculating carbon dioxyde is fine, but the continued and sudden (100 years) release of "new" CO2, that's been hiding underground for millions of years, is concerning.

Model rockets make up ... yeah why doesn't someone estimate the number of model rocket launches in a year so we compare with the transportation industry and get numbers (for those who need the numbers).

tomsteve

Reaction score
There's a huge difference in the quantity I produce ( since I've only shot off 2 rockets in the last 40 years) versus the almost immeasurable amount that everybody else produces 24/7/365 days a year for over a century. My total time of polluting with rockets is less than 1minute.

maybe 1 minute with rockets but what about the other 21 million + minutes of 40 years?

jderimig

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hobby rocket motor CO2 is miniscule compared to the CO2 used to power this forum and all its user's computers.....

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
Hobby rocket motor CO2 is miniscule compared to the CO2 used to power this forum and all its user's computers.....

"....." 🤔

Over a year? Possibly but without numbers, I'm not convinced (and finding the data could be a big job). Together though it isn't a speck next to transportation (and industry, manufacturing, indoors "climate control", etc.).

Last edited: