Arduino Launcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim AI4SR

Reaction score
Just started playing with rockets and one of my other hobbies is Arduino and Raspberry stuff. I thought a Arduino launcher would be cool.
Here it is (before I added some other functions).

I have added continuous checking of the connections during the countdown, so it aborts if a failure is detected. Components are a NANO, OLED, multicolor LED, Beeper, relay and switches. Simple, but a fun project for me and it's works great. Plus, lots of additional inputs and outputs for addition functions I can dream up. Suggestions?

I agree. This is cool. What could you do with it to make it comply better with the Model Rocket Safety Code?

3. Ignition System. I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system and electrical motor igniters. My launch system will have a safety interlock in series with the launch switch, and will use a launch switch that returns to the “off” position when released.

It looks like your switch is in series with the launch switch, but it doesn’t look like the launch switch returns to the off position when released. I’ve been noodling something similar and want to make sure it complies with the safety code. Maybe hold the launch button down through the countdown and have a release abort the launch?

I agree. This is cool. What could you do with it to make it comply better with the Model Rocket Safety Code?

3. Ignition System. I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system and electrical motor igniters. My launch system will have a safety interlock in series with the launch switch, and will use a launch switch that returns to the “off” position when released.

It looks like your switch is in series with the launch switch, but it doesn’t look like the launch switch returns to the off position when released. I’ve been noodling something similar and want to make sure it complies with the safety code. Maybe hold the launch button down through the countdown and have a release abort the launch?
Thanks. Not exactly. The power switch controls power to the complete unit. The launch button goes to the Arduino Nano processer which controls a launch relay. To abort, you can simply shut the power switch off or let go of the launch button. The Arduino also monitors the connectivity to the ignitor during the setup and countdown.
I made a simple code change and the button has to be held down though the countdown. If lifted, countdown abends and it goes back to waiting for another press. I think it's pretty safe now. :)

Back