Arcturus: The gleaming future of space exploration

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
OK, so lets look at the future in a different way...
What if the manned space program had not been effectively killed in the early 70's? What if the dream of space exploration had been carried on through policy and funding? What if politicians and the bored public had gotten out of the way of the visionaries?
Where would we be now, thirty years later?
We could have been making our first real steps off this tiny pebble we call home into the vastness of the cosmos. We could have been witness to the launching of gigantic starships of elegance and style.
We could have seen the birth of humanity's first deep space exploration vessel.

To the future that could have been I dedicate the Arcturus!
Arturus_1985cropsized.jpg

OK, so the paint and details need work, but it is a project in progress. I'll try to flesh her out more this weekend.
So, here is how this handwavium powered beauty came to be.

Parts!! You gotten start with parts....
Parts_0890.jpg

We have BT80, BT55, BT50, BT20 and BT5, 55-50 CR's, 55-80 CR's, a BT55 coupler, kevlar shock cord, four 1/16" ply fins and a HOJO nose cone. Actually these is also a 4" section of 3" BT that I forgot to include in the photo, for some reason.

This is the second of three builds of this design since 8/25/06, all the time working towards a production model. The first was a 3" diameter main airframe with 1/8" ply fins and 29mm MM, the second was a 2.6" main airframe with 1/16" ply fins and 24mm MM and the third is a 2.6" airframe with two-part balsa fins and 24mm MM.

Here is the afore mentioned phantom 3" tube being marked to become the outboard panels.
mark3inch_0950.jpg

And the panels cut.

panels_0955.jpg

The two sections of BT55 are connected with a coupler and the assemble placed in a length of aluminum angle to assure it dries straight.
connectBT55_0900.jpg

Here is the MM being glued into the BT55 airframe.
MMmounted_1026.jpg

You may have noticed that there is no motor retainer or thrust ring. Both are evil, bad for the environment and cause premature balding.

Last edited:
Next we cut slots in the outboard panels to match the tabs on the fins.
finandpanel_0962.jpg

Then the fins and panels spontaneously combine to for complete fin units.
finscomplete_0983.jpg

The TTW fin slots are marked in preparation for the butchery to come.
tabmark_0993.jpg

The butchery commences...
cutslots_0998.jpg

OH the humanity!

The fins are test fitted to the TTW slots.
finfit_1000.jpg

The fins are removed and the BT80 airframe is then angle cut using out super-secret Kraken method.
largetubecut_1007.jpg

Fill the spirals, glue the BT55 into the BT 80, attach some angle cut 1/4" LL's and you get this.
airframecomplete_1468.jpg

*this is a photo of the latest build but it is included to show how the two airframes look once joined*

With the addition of fin units and lots of wood glue you get something like this.
finmount_1100.jpg

WHile the fins are drying the BT20 and BT5 tank sections are cut and the fiber ends glued in place.
tanksends1015419.jpg

Last edited:
A view of the main fin unit once complete.
finsattached1015432.jpg

*once again this is a pic of the third version but is included for clarity*

Adding the wrap around tank sections to the airframe while the fins continue to dry.
finsandtanks_1105.jpg

A short section of aluminum angle was used to align the tanks.
tankmount1015445.jpg

Last edited:
With time running out we'll jump to the flight pics.
Here is the maiden flight on a D12-3 in Memphis TN with the MSRS.

Get on the launch rod , blast you!
MSRS_Arcturus_0168.jpg

Dramtic "on the pad shot" by Trudy.
msrs_Arcturus_0170.jpg

Launch!!
MSRS_arcturus_0178.jpg

Up and away, steady as a rock.
MSRS_Arcturus_0180.jpg

Ejection
MSRS_Arcturus_0185.jpg

And a successful recovery.
MSRS_Acturus_0193.jpg

I really like the look of your design and the flight pictures were awesome:)
Cheers
fred

Looks fantastic Layne, but I have 2 questions:

1) Have you considered a 29mm upscale?

2) Since this is in the contest section, where is the contest?

G.D.

Looks fantastic Layne, but I have 2 questions:

1) Have you considered a 29mm upscale?

2) Since this is in the contest section, where is the contest?

G.D.

Thanks Fred and Gregg...
We are still working on the production model.

And to answer your questions:
1) The original was 29mm, but we went smaller due to smaller flying fields. Maybe, after the 24mm and MMX version are complete, we'll look at the 29mm again.

2) The contest was back in May of 2010, "The Future of SPace Flight". Heck, neither of my entries even placed..
:(

I`d buy that in 29mm..heck ,I`d buy that in 24mm !!

Hope it goes into production ,I need that and the King Kraken (that I`m getting very soon !!)

Cheers

paul

Layne, I think you may be channelling the spirit of some long-lost Centuri designer. That ship would look completely at home next to my SSV Scorpion!

I've "technically" stopped buying kits... but I may have to make an exception...

I cannt help it. I keep pronouncing it "Architeuthis" Sure looks nice!

Architeuthis.jpg

very cool rocket

at first I thought it was arctaurus...as in centuri taurus body with arc fins.

gotta admit it does favor the taurus

That's freaking sweet Layne. :)

One question though, how susceptible are the panels on the ends of the fins to flight damage?

Thanks for the compliments guys, this one has been in the works for a while. So far there has been a 29mm version, a 24mm version, an 18mm and I just finished the MMX version.

Paul, we hope to help you out with your needs in the near future.
;)

Kevin, thank you very much, I consider being compared to a Centuri designer a grand compliment. Back in the "day", Centuri produced the most creative and interesting designs. Estes had there stable of cool kits but Centuri was on the cutting edge of innovation.

Scotty,
HA!!!!
I did not know that! What a perfect stablemate for the Kraken.
We may have to look into using this name...

Stymye,
Yeah, there is a little resemblance.

Mikus,
So far there have been no problems with damage to the fin panels. The fins are set forward enough that when she lands she gently leans over on the fin panels.

Scotty,
HA!!!!
I did not know that! What a perfect stablemate for the Kraken.
We may have to look into using this name...

Your response to Scotty was a little ambiguous, at least to me. Just in case:

Architeuthis dux is the giant squid or kraken

Physeter macrocephalus
is the sperm whale. Some older references may give it as Physeter catadon, or in rare cases, Physeter cachalot.

The one you're interested in is Lama glama (that's one "L") I don't don't think the Laynivorous variety has been designated as a separate species as yet.

Wow...
You guys are really pumping out the scientific terms on this one...
I dig it.

Lama Glama?
Isn't that where you dress your LLama in fancy clothes and lots of makeup?
:p

Your response to Scotty was a little ambiguous, at least to me. Just in case:

Architeuthis dux is the giant squid or kraken

Physeter macrocephalus
is the sperm whale. Some older references may give it as Physeter catadon, or in rare cases, Physeter cachalot.

The one you're interested in is Lama glama (that's one "L") I don't don't think the Laynivorous variety has been designated as a separate species as yet.

Wow...
You guys are really pumping out the scientific terms on this one...
I dig it.

Lama Glama?
Isn't that where you dress your LLama in fancy clothes and lots of makeup?
:p

I wouldn't know.

Do you have experience dressing YOUR llama up in fancy clothes and makeup?:wink:

I`d buy that in 29mm..heck ,I`d buy that in 24mm !!

Hope it goes into production ,I need that and the King Kraken (that I`m getting very soon !!)

Cheers

paul

Heck, I'd buy a 29 mm if it was under $50 *hint hint* :eyeroll: Got no money... I take that back. I have less money than I'd like... :bangpan:

Back