Arch Nemesis Mk2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoBang

Reaction score
This is my first such post here, so be kind...I am not so much a BAR as I am a BABAR, and I'm sure you can figure that out. Anyway, during my tenure as a BAR, I built an Estes Nemesis at my son's urging and was really surprised as how much I enjoyed the build and the finishing process. The bird got some nice compliments at the Rocket City Blastoff several years ago and became one of my favorite flyers. Then I took it to a Cub Scout launch and loaned it to a youngster who cocked it badly on the pad which resulted in a drift into a forest, never to be seen again. I looked around for a kit to replace it and couldn't find another short of buying one on eBay, which I was reluctant to do for fear of it arriving mangled.

Years pass. I am bit by the rocketry bug again, and while I have something like 30 kits in my build box I could assemble, I really wanted to rebuild that Nemesis. So I ended up turning to eBay, where I found one at a reasonable price, and waited anxiously for it to arrive. When it did, I was not surprised to find a crimped tube. Disappointed, but not surprised. I did have tubing left over from a Comanche refit that would work, but...

...we can rebuild it...we can make it better than it was before...

What I ended up with is pretty much a standard Nemesis, except that it is an inch longer, it carries an ejection baffle (tube couplers, well-perforated balsa disks coated with CA, and some Chore Boy) and it has "antennas"--or lasers, take your pick--on the fins. Flat toothpicks make dandy lasers. ;) And I had some tubing left over, so I immediately thought: air scoop for atmospheric travel. It was the first time I'd tried anything like that, and it didn't seat completely right, but it doesn't look too bad, I think, and once painted it will look pretty gnarly. I'll eventually post pictures of the finished product as soon as I can figure out how to do so...

All right, here goes. First post of a pic for me here. This is the Arch Nemesis Mk2 atop an iMac, which, if you look closely, is playing Shriekback's Nemesis, from their terrific album, "Oil and Gold".

nemesis1.jpg

Jim:
Very interesting Canopied Nosecone with canards. I really don't recall this model at all, about what year was this an Estes kit?
Really nice looking build. should be cool when finished.

Jim:
Very interesting Canopied Nosecone with canards. I really don't recall this model at all, about what year was this an Estes kit?
Really nice looking build. should be cool when finished.
My first go-round as a BAR was in 2002, and it's in the catalog that year, and I think it stayed there through 2004 or 5. Thanks! I really enjoy the smaller kits, especially when there's room (and reason) for some creativity.

Back