Arapahoe E

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrustline

Reaction score
I have had several e-mails regarding this kit. For those of you that don't know what it is, click on this link to see OKTurbo's review. He was the beta tester during the design phase and quite frankly, with that awesome paint job of his, made it into the Thrustline Icon that it's become! https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_ta_arapahoe.shtml

How the design came about.
When I was about 9, I really wanted a Cherokee D. When I was on a trip visiting a Native American friend of my dad's (for about a month) in upper state New York, I found one in a local hobby shop and bought it. Whenever I wasn't fishing, I worked on the rocket. I launched it and everything happened so quick, I never even saw it. Lost it first flight. Well, that summer was a real turning point for me. My dad's friend taught me a lot about fishing and those memories were keepers! So, when I was looking for some ideas for a new model 30 years later, I thought a spin off of the Cherokee D was in order. A design where if you look close enough, you can still see some family traits of old Cherokee D but with much a much better aero package and kicked up performance. It is probably the most upscaled Thrustline kit to date and when I get the website up to full speed again, I'll post some of those photos as well.

Want one? I am putting a list together so if you would like an Arapahoe, e-mail me at [email protected] After about a week from now, I'll tally up the numbers and order the materials and start kitting. Once I start getting them packed, I'll e-mail you back as to payment and ship dates. You'll pay nothing until the kit is ready to ship. The price will be around $24 +S/H. Unlike the original kit, a chute will not be included. It will contain everything else the original kit had like that great look Excelsior decal...hope Fred still has the file:eek:. BTW...please keep your initial requests to one per customer. Once things are up to speed, I'll give the green light if you want to order more!
Need replacement parts? If you have an Arapahoe that you need to rebuild, e-mail you and I'll help with parts...that goes with all my kits.

Email has been sent, I have time to get my work area cleaned up and ready! (and that isn't an easy task!)

John, I'm definitely in. :D

Email sent!

Last edited:
Email sent, nice looking rocket:) Just wondering, if you buy another rocket (Black Shadow or Pumpkin Head) whats the extra postage, if any?

Last edited:
I'm in!

That is a sweet design. Did John McClure create the white bird image on the fin or did Excelsior?

Glad to have you back John.
I already have one as well as many other Thrustline kits.
It's a great design and flies great too.
Maybe I'll pick up another one later on down the road. ;)

Arapahoe E sm.jpg

Last edited:
Email sent, nice looking rocket:) Just wondering, if you buy another rocket (Black Shadow or Pumpkin Head) whats the extra postage, if any?
If I assume you live in VA, about $2, or so. Kits all get prioity mail with confirmation.

I'm in!

That is a sweet design. Did John McClure create the white bird image on the fin or did Excelsior?

Yes I think he did. I did the lettering and played around with the bird but he got it right. I knew when I saw it that it would be perfect. I was thinking more of a Air Force Thunderbird type bird but I liked his much better. Though I think Phred has made others for me.

I'm in!

Yep that was me. The bird was inspired by the 45th Infantry Brigade in Oklahoma....they use a similar Thunderbird design.

John designed a really cool 'retro' styled rocket in the Arapahoe E. I wanted a paint scheme that had a retro feel to it, but still be up to date. I have a bit of an artistic streak in me, and this time it just seemed to come together. Not too bad for a Mechanical Engineer huh?!?!

I'm excited to see John get Thrustline Aerospace going again. His kits fit my style to a T. They were always more of a 'craftsman' kit.... you have to put some thought and effort into them to build them right. More of a creation than an assembly....if that make sense.

So is the new website going to have an "Arapahoe Valley" so we can share pics of our A-E's?

John McClure (OKTurbo)

Here's mine.

Flown it on C11-3's so far. I'm afraid to use anything bigger 'cause it was my only one!

I need a spare.:rolleyes:

arapahoefinished.JPG

Yep that was me. The bird was inspired by the 45th Infantry Brigade in Oklahoma....they use a similar Thunderbird design.

John designed a really cool 'retro' styled rocket in the Arapahoe E. I wanted a paint scheme that had a retro feel to it, but still be up to date. I have a bit of an artistic streak in me, and this time it just seemed to come together. Not too bad for a Mechanical Engineer huh?!?!

I'm excited to see John get Thrustline Aerospace going again. His kits fit my style to a T. ......

So is the new website going to have an "Arapahoe Valley" so we can share pics of our A-E's?

John McClure (OKTurbo)

Yes....on that long list of things to put on the website is in fact, Arapahoe Valley. I have most if not all of the pics. It was one of things that I missed about the website. I'm sure any designer or kit producer always loves to see pics of his or her designs. To me, it was the ultimate compliment. And that goonie version, another classic!

John has done some really great work for me. He has helped me on several projects that without his input, would not have put thoe kits as high on the "cool" list.

Ok, as of now, (5:38P.M. EST) I have e-mail requests for 25 individual kits. I am going to keep the list growing until Friday (the 10th?) and tally up the numbers. I'll then order everything I need by the following monday to make enough kits to fill all orders plus another dozen or so. Some of you may be wondering why I don't make a few hundred at a clip. Well, I'm trying to build the funds up seperate from my own personel account so it takes time to get a large enough "kitty" up to speed.

Ok, as of now, (5:38P.M. EST) I have e-mail requests for 25 individual kits. I am going to keep the list growing until Friday (the 10th?) and tally up the numbers. I'll then order everything I need by the following monday to make enough kits to fill all orders plus another dozen or so. Some of you may be wondering why I don't make a few hundred at a clip. Well, I'm trying to build the funds up seperate from my own personel account so it takes time to get a large enough "kitty" up to speed.

OK, been there, done that...my kitty is in trouble!

If it helps any I'm willing
to double up the ante and
go for two....
:D

Yeah, that's the same problem that I run into all the time. lol

Nice one Sandman

Here's mine I flew this one on an Aerotech M1315

Phil, Very nice, I'm currently building one with a 4in diameter tube. This one is a bit bigger. ;) What did you end up as a tube size for this one?

Very nice indeed...

Mike Smeltzer

TRA L3

Phil, Very nice, I'm currently building one with a 4in diameter tube. This one is a bit bigger. ;) What did you end up as a tube size for this one?

Thanks Mike

I used a 6 inch PML tube and the boattail was home made with an Aeropac motor retainer

Phil

Back