Arapahoe-E scratch build launch lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OC-Patrick

Reaction score
Hi - where are the launch lugs typically placed on this model? Have to deal with the fins and the strakes which are equally offset from each other - thanks.

On mine its half way between a fin and a strake about 4 inches up from the aft end. My kit was an original Thrustline. I don't know if SquirrelWorks has changed that.

The Squirrel Works Arapahoe E has two launch lugs. Aft lug is at the end of the body tube, just above the tail cone. Forward lug is 6 inches further up. Both on a line between a strake and a fin.
Intuitively I would prefer two lugs. I would think it would be better at preventing a rotation around the center of a single lug. That's my highly technical scientific analysis. ;)

I like 1 longer vs 2 shorter. The 1 doesn't have concerns with getting out of alignment like you can with 2. The 2 should give slightly better guidance compared to 1 but has a greater chance of binding up and the upper one only is good until it clears the end of the rod which isn't much.

...love this site - thanks for all the responses.

I'm thinking going one of two ways. 1) long single lug and "hide" it directly adjacent to a strake, or 2) smaller lug within the front black band, and smaller lug against a strake towards the rear. Lugs really take away from this beautifully designed rocket.

Here’s some pics of Arapahoe #1. Just went out to the shop and took it out of the rocket box.

That’s my oldest son prepping it at a Tulsa Rocketry launch years ago. He’s 28 yrs old now.
E9AB353C-98D5-427D-A55B-07B8A8F7C3A5.jpeg4E8DC6DA-2495-4BAB-9F7D-5F3CECE2387C.jpeg4B434A77-5419-4127-8E04-5541262017BC.jpeg

Back