April Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Our awesome sponsor this month is Pem Tech! Scroll down to read the rules, find out what the Theme is and what an awesome prize Layne is going to bestow on the lucky winner! And no, it has NOTHING to do with Llamas, so get Kraken! ;)

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Whenever I can get appropriate sponsorships for the month there will be 2 contests. One will be strictly LOW POWER(F impulse and below) and the other will be MPR/HPR(G impulse and higher). So double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).<-A couple people(me included), violated this rule in February. It will be enforced this month, and I promise not to break it!..LOL.. The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class. If there are more then seven(7) entries for the month, the entries will be split into multiple polls based on entry sequence into the competition and a run-off will be held with the top vote recipients from each poll. Run off voting period will be 5 days.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

This months theme is Tube Fins! I know that there are those type animals out there! So let's see your tube-fulifulus tube fin rockets! :)

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Okay, so, we all know that Pem Tech makes some truly awesome kits! And this months prize is a doozy! Up for grabs is a KING KRAKEN kit!:w: So, lets get Kraken guys and get your entries in!

So, let's get those entries in!

What is this?!
April 8th and no entries???

Come on folks, don't make me take the Prize and go home.
:p

Layne, I think you may need to get those Tube Finned Rocket hunting Llamas ready to ride! And give them something REAL spicy in their meal before they head out! :p

Ok. I entered this rocket a couple months ago, but to get the ball rolling here it is again.

Groove Tube Upscale ~2.9x
55" long
Standard heavy 2.6 inch dia. tubing
Weighs about 2 lbs
I've flown it a dozen times or so. Since it only has a 29 mm mount the largest motor I've used is an AT I200.

Here it is on a G64:

044024-video8003m30s2.jpg

I200 (not a very good pic):
061029-groovetubei200wesl14000010-25.jpg

H165R:
082049-gtl11h165r_1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok... For any contest involving tube fins, you have to go right to the Doctor... Larry Brand is Dr. Tubefin! If you have any doubt, check his articles in Sport Rocketry and his upcoming one in Rockets!

Here is my shot of his "Mach Turtle". The rocket is only 30" long with Larry's distinctive 7 tube design. Unfortunately Larry's internet can't handle file size of the photo, so I'm entering it for him!

This flight was on a Pro38 I345 to Mach 1.03!:y: This is only the second time that a tube fin rocket has been recorded to have broke Mach, and the first time on only an "I"!

Mach Turtle.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my entry for this month. It has a long history for me as it was my first scratchbuild. It's 43" tall based on B.T. 80 with the Estes ogive N.C. and a 24mm +2x18mm MMT. It started out with 11 B.T. 50 tubes 8" long around the base and a single 24mm mount. On it's first flight it cartwheeled spectacularly and crashed with little damage. It was unstable due to insufficient noseweight, overly long tubefins and ignorance.:eek: After a bit of learning I mounted 6 sections of B.T. 80 around the base and glued enough lead shot in the nose to balance and loaded it with an old Estes E motor and pressed the button...KABOOM! The rocket had all it's guts and one 80 tubefin removed but was otherwise intact. It sat on the shelf for a couple of years until this contest motivated me to finish it with a new MMT and baffle plate with shockcord. Today was my first chance to fly and after waiting two hours for the wind to die I let it go. A good boost into the wind was followed by a landing bouncing off the blockhouse(my van). It was undamaged and will fly again soon. Ted
P.S. Video of the flight can be found on youtube under"dedleytedley"

Clifford the big red rocket.jpg

Clifford the big red rocket 2.jpg

Clifford the big red rocket 3.jpg

Clifford the big red rocket 4.jpg

Deadline fast approaching!

Midnight tonight EDT is when the entry period ends!(It's the 21st ALREADY?!?!:y:)

Get your entries in! :) Polls to be posted shortly after midnight(or whenever I get home, whichever occurs later(obviously I can't post the polls until I get home!))

Back